Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile How fast to walk on treadmill and for how long?

Does anyone know a good pace to walk on a treadmill, what incline to be in and for how long per day? I walked today at 2.0-3.0 for 35 minutes at 3.5 incline. Is this going to do any good for me? Faster, slower, more time? Just wondering, newbie and looking for answers from pro's, thanks for the help!

2. Google
    There is no set time that is blanketly right for everyone.

If you're just starting out, I'd say 20-30 minutes at a pace that feels like *work* for you but not so much that you're gasping for air.

As time goes on and you adapt, you'll be able to 'toy' with the different variables like speed, duration, incline, mode, etc, etc.

I have been working up my endurance on the treadmill for quite a while (nearly a year now?) and I am up to 4.6mph for 4 miles, which takes just under an hour. The past week I have moved up from 4.4mph in the past week and I plan on increasing slowly over the next several weeks. I am curious to find if I am going to find an uncomfortable spot that is too fast to walk and not fast enough to run. I hope to get my running ability up.

As for incline, I read in a magazine (I think Men's Health) that a treadmill should be set to 1.0 to make up for the lack of wind resistance when outside. When going slower (3.5-4.0mph), I like to bump it up to 3.0-4.0. I can surely start feeling the difference at that level.

Maybe to see what feels comfortable for you, try changing one variable (speed or incline) for one day and see how it feels. Even if it is not your sweet spot, I bet it will still be a workout.

Lastly, I do like to switch up every once in a while, usually for a full calendar month, and I will stop using the treadmill and just use the elliptical machine or a bike. It keeps the variety up and keeps me from getting bored. For November and part of December I would spend 45 minutes on the elliptical on cardio days and 25 minutes plus weights on other days. Right now I am in a rowing machine/treadmill option and rowing machine/treadmill/weights set of routines.

--Jason

Morning,

It all depends; only you know what you can handle best.

Today was the first day since my surgery of last month that I've gotten on a treadmill - I've missed it.

Anywhos, I normally do 3.5 mph at a 15 level incline for 30 minutes. Then I'll back it down to level 10 incline and increase the speed...and then do the same again and again.

It really all depends upon my mood. As today was my first day back, I didn't bump up my speed to 5.0mph (I had achieved that in November), but instead brought the level back up to 15 near the end of my workout. I generated a good sweat.

Data points,

Barbara

Smile

Thanks to both of you for the great tips! Right now I'm comfortable at 3.0 so I'll raise the incline a bit. Great idea to switch it up a bit, I appreciate it!

Smile

Thanks Iamfire, hope your surgery went well! I had surgery in Sept. on my cervical spine, so I'm a little sore all of the time but doc. said to walk and it will help speed up my bone growth?! Not sure how, but we'll see soon! Thanks for the advice!

I have found that using the treadmill at a slower pace and steep incline proves better results than running at no incline.

Is it because of the incline, like stair stepping?

newbie's opinion

Hey all...
    I have officially started my new exerices plan...and while I am no professional, I do know that I can't run for anything. It sucks. I have been walking at about 2.7 with a 7% incline. I find that if it is too high I am struggling to keep on the treadmill. Now, I have very short legs, since I am only 5' tall, so maybe a higher speed would work for you. But I find when I am working at about 2.7 on a moderate incline, I am burning max calories, and not so out of breath I can't keep going anymore...and I stay on for an hour.

Hi eevee. In regards on how fast to walk on a treadmill is up to the person's comfort level. I have a treadmill in my room. I am generally on 3.5 for 1 hours or more if I have the time. I feel great when I am on the treadmill. I would just recommend to take your time with the treadmill and when you feel comfortable to increase the speed do so.

A great treadmill prescription

Quote Originally Posted by eevee View Post
    Does anyone know a good pace to walk on a treadmill, what incline to be in and for how long per day? I walked today at 2.0-3.0 for 35 minutes at 3.5 incline. Is this going to do any good for me? Faster, slower, more time? Just wondering, newbie and looking for answers from pro's, thanks for the help!
    Eevee

You asked about a good pace to walk on the treadmill. I assume your desire is to work in the aerobic zone and burn fat. I am a big believer in utilizing a heart rate monitor to make sure you are working in an aerobic zone that will elicit progress for you.

In working with a heart rate monitor you first want to calculate a training zone using the karvonen method of monitoring your heart rate. The aerobic zone is between 60%-75%. (Varies with current fitness level; yet this is a good baseline) Thus if I were to do mine using my age, it would look like this:

Example of mineís: 206.9 - (0.67 x (42 my age)) = 178.76(max hr) Ė 54 (my resting heart rate) = 124.76
    Thus, 124.76 x 60%= 74.85+54 (resting heart rate) = 128.4 (Low end of aerobic zone)
    124.76 x 75% =112.28 +54 (resting heart rate) = 147.57 (High end of zone)

Having programmed many on a treadmill protocol, I would encourage you to stay between a 3.0-4.0 mph. speed, and progress by increasing the incline. Plug in those numbers you see above using your age, and the key is staying in that zone. Itís best to take your heart rate first thing in the morning.

Iím a big believer in treadmill walking especially increasing intensity by upping the incline. The sky is the limit in terms of the conditioning you can obtain. By increasing the incline, you force your body to adapt in its ability to absorb oxygen within your muscle cells. Your bodyís capacity to use fat for fuel and burn calories is contingent on this factor.

Iím glad you included the numbers you performed recently. Calculating the oxygen capacity you gave I determined you could begin at a 4% incline at 3 mph. You can do it for 30 minutes. I doubt if youíll go above the zone I prescribed or labor too hard in your breathing. However, if that should occur, straddle your legs to the side for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time and resume. I would walk 30 minutes three days a week for the first two weeks. Take it up to 4 days the next two; and take it up to 5 days for two more weeks.

Your incline can go from 4% at 3 mph the first two weeks; 5% at 3 mph the next two; and 6% at 3 mph the final two weeks. I assure you, if you are getting enough rest and your body is being refueled with the proper nutrients, youíll be able to do 5 days for 30 minutes at the protocol I mentioned for the last two weeks. Itís all about progression.

If your heart rate should go above the protocol zone in the latter weeks and you feel good and strong, go with it. That means your body is absorbing enough oxygen to burn fat as fuel to accomplish the activity. Thatís a good sign of progress.

I encourage your success.

GetFitn6

Quote Originally Posted by eevee View Post
    How did you feel at the end? If you felt you could have carried on then next time do 2.5-3.5 at the same incline.

I like to increase the incline if I feel I have spare capacity but aim for the same speed. So if I can do 5 miles at an incline of 10, the next time I might set it for 5mph as an incline of 11 and see how it goes.

Interval training on a treadmill works amazingly well. Vary your speeds and inclines for short amounts of time. Faster, slower, just mix it up and do what you feel you can do to push yourself without hurting yourself. I've been running, but my right knee is killing me, so I'm back to just walking for now...but I can burn as many calories varying incline and speed walking as I was switching back and forth running and walking at just 1% incline.

I typically start out at 3.2 mph on 2% incline for 5 or 10 minutes. Then bump it up to 3.5mph on 4%. Then 4.0 mph at 2%. Then back to 3.2 mph on 6%. Then 4.0 mph at 2%. etc. I jump all around at various combinations of speed and incline anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. I can't stress enough that INCLINE VARIATION makes a huge difference to both calories burned and heart rate achieved. It also mixes up the impact on the muscles in your legs. I was getting sore shins until I started mixing up the incline. Now, no problem at all.

My treadmill you enter weight and age and it calculates calories burned and it calculates and gives a light indicator for whether your current speed and incline is warm up, fat burn, or endurance training. This really helps me see the impact of the variations I'm doing.

I hope this helps. Just play around and have some fun with it. It makes the time go by a lot better than the same pace and same incline and it is a lot more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I can't stress enough that INCLINE VARIATION makes a huge difference to both calories burned and heart rate achieved. .
    Yes. I use the 'random' setting for inclination so there is a healthy variety and I like to see what's coming .

Finding what you're capeable of doing is a matter of trial an error. You should keep a note of what settings you use, in a few months you'll be blowing past today's marks.

***Just noticed the thread was started 3 yrs ago ***
    Last edited by Iain1974; February 7th, 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Time frame

Cool Just retired,

I retired a few months ago and have put on about 18 pounds, So for the last 4 days I got back on the Treadmill, which I haven't used in years.

I set it at 3mph, and no real incline and go one mile a day, approx 18-19 minutes.

I'm feeling it when I'm done.

I'm on a diet, lite Almond milk, lean small amounts of meat, veggie's etc.

It feels like I'm getting something out of the 19 minutes.

Will it be good enough each day, or will I have to take it up higher?

Mitch_