Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Hungry Again Shortly After Eating

Maybe I am not the only person to experience this...

Sometimes, after I eat, usually within a short amount of time, my stomach is growling as if I had never had a meal.

I am hesitant to do something about it because I do not want to overeat, however, logic dictates that my body is telling me it is hungry and I should probably eat something.

Anyone else have this problem? What are you doing about it?

2. Google
    I've found that my body acts like it's still hungry because of dyhradation. I've found that with a healthy supply of water every day I haven't had that hungry feeling near as often.

First thing I'd ask is are you sure you're eating enough to make sure you're satisfied.

Next up - how long does it take you to finish a meal - I could easily enter a speed eating contest and win every time - slowing down eating is the hardest thingin the world for me - therre's a book i read - Mindless eating but a doctor who's name I can't remember -suggests really being mindful of what you're eating (the book french women don't get fat alsoreally touches on it) Slowing down eating - paying attention to what you're eating -No distractiions while eating (ie turning off the television) and having the eating last at least 20 minutes.

it's something like 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it's full.

Chopsticks help

I like the chopsticks idea.

I try to make an effort to eat slowly, chew my food and all of that...it seems as if I am satisified at the end of a meal just to turn up hungry half an hour later. That being said, you and I could probably have a race

I had a salad for lunch today and I feel like I never ate.

It seems (to me at least) that I lose weight very slowly so I am hesitant to increase my caloric intake for fear of slowing the process down entirely.

Is it as simple as eating more protein? I don't know...it is just frustrating to me because that is where I could get into eating crap and I don't want to do that.

Oh Maleficent, I can take you on in any speed eating contest. Just the other day, I had a bet with my friend that I can finish a large pizza(14") in 10 minutes. 4 minutes and 50 dollars later we had an empty pizza box. Needless t say, I've been eating around 1000 cal/day for the past three days to offset the indulgence.

As for the OP, maybe you're not eating large enough meals? If I'm hungry and I eat an apple, I'll get hungry again in an hour. Try making your meals larger by adding lots of low-calorie vegetables. They add a few calories but contributes to the feeling of fullness. And like Lowfatmilk said, try drinking some water. The body can confuse thirst with hunger. But if you are trying everything and you still feel hungry, and if you are sure you're getting your calorie allocation every day, you'll just have to be hungry from time to time to lose weight.

Edit: And the pizza wasn't think crust cheese pizza or anything like that. It was a fully loaded normal crust supreme from Papa John's.

I have the same exact problem. I will eat dinner and feel hungry 30 minutes later. I usually try and drink water and ignore it but it is sooo hard to do.

I'm not a salad fan - so I'm the wrong person to answer this -but it just doesn't seem satisfying to me -maybe add some chopped chicken or tuna - or some cheese -the additional protein might give you some more staying power than just rabbit food...

I usually add that sort of stuff, didn't have any today so maybe that is part of my problem...BUT...even on days where I do that, I get hungry.

I had 1oz of cheese and a wasa cracker w/1tbs of peanut butter...

that worked for a while...stomach is growling again

Ali. Do you ever eat cottage cheese? I know some people can't stand it but I eat it sometimes. I personally think it is quite filling (I usually eat a cup of the LF kind) and have a little bit of pineapple with it too... When I make my salads I am usually really liberal with the lettuce and veggies because they are low calorie fillers, obviously. I also think water might help too, like the other posters mentioned.

-Sam

Hi Sam -

Thanks - I load up on the veggies, etc and have been drinking tons of water

I can't stand cottage cheese, there is just something about it that I don't like...

I ate a lot of protein tonight, so we will see how that goes...

I hope that all works for you Ali. I have lots of friends who don't do cottage cheese either, so I understand. It sucks to go around and be hungry all the time.

-Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy24 View Post
    Ali. Do you ever eat cottage cheese? I know some people can't stand it but I eat it sometimes. I personally think it is quite filling (I usually eat a cup of the LF kind) and have a little bit of pineapple with it too...
    Sam, thats my FAVORITE snack.. before i started counting the calories in everything, i'd go to the store and buy a qt of the Hood country style cottage cheese and a can of pineapple and have a "Snack" after dinner..
    I can safely say that i now measure it out, but its still my Favorite.

Ali, I find that if i dont eat at least 150-250 calories and at least 12oz (mostly 20oz) of water at each of my 5 planned meals my body does the grumble thing and starts craving stuff by the next mealtime.. which starts the overeating urge.. and then depressed "i messed up again" eating....

Its actually not that difficult, if you also account for calories used during exercise, to eat 3x 200 calorie snacks during the day (i space mine every 3 hours), a 300-400 calorie breakfast, 300-500 calorie lunch and a 350-500 calorie dinner and still be under the limit for the daily alloted NET calories (1720/day).
    IMHO, the key is 1/2 the water before you start eating, and then the rest (or a full refill) after you finish... foods like granola that expand in water are awesome for the fullness factor on the 3pm munchies :P
    Last edited by JonnyG; April 2nd, 2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: whops i forgot lunch!

Try putting some Quinoa in your soups and whatnot and you will find that it is very filling. This doesn't add many calories at all and works well.

Protein, and foods HIGH in healthy fats. I am never hungry right away after a egg + spinach + sausage (organic, grassfed beef, with no sugar in it) omelet.

The other reply about water is important too.

If I don't drink enough water, and my food was not high enough in fat, I end up hungry often too. The Slow Food movement is sweeping America also, which is great! Promotes slowing down eating, as the other reply to this thread mentioned. As with many things, there is not necessarily JUST ONE right answer. IT may be a combination of these things. Experiment, try them all, see what happens.

~Healthy-NESS~

Ali,

sufficient protein advice in this post. Please note that whenever you eat some carbs (bananas, grapes) the insuline level in your blood rises, which wll make you crave for food. If you eat them only combined with lean protein!

Oliver