Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 meal a day?

1 meal a day?

Does anybody follow a 1-meal a day diet? I have friends who only eat a large dinner everynight and are quite thin/fit. i also read somewhere about someone following this diet for years and not gaining an ounce..

2. Google
    I couldn't do it. 24 hours (or 23.5) between meals? My mouth likes food in it too much to do that.

imo, that's not a good idea. I think it is much better to eat more smaller meals throughout the day.

According to sumo wrestlers, this is the most optimal way to stay out of shape and being ignorant. Works if you want to get no where. Read around please.

Google for "intermittent fasting" if you want more information. I put it in the category of "if it works for you, more power to you," right along with 6 meals a day or 3 meals a day.

i have heard of really busy celebs doing this but im not sure that it would be the easiest thing to do! Everyone is different so i suppose you could try it for a few days and see if it suits you. I know for a fact that i couldnt do it!

1 meal a day is not a healthy diet...

Quote Originally Posted by jpiers View Post
    1 meal a day is not a healthy diet...
    By the number of meals per day you can label a diet healthy or not?

Interesting.... I always thought it would come down to things like adequate nutrients, energy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    By the number of meals per day you can label a diet healthy or not?

Interesting.... I always thought it would come down to things like adequate nutrients, energy, etc.
    It isn't healthy at all, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Without spewing blanket statements this time, how about explaining why. Facts aren't poison around here.

I'm not suggesting I agree with the one-meal per day mentality. I was simply saying I find it hard to believe one can label a diet healthy or not based solely on the frequency of feedings per day.

I bet I could make a diet consisting of one meal per day that is more healthy than most people's 3+ meals per day diet.

Starting to see my point?

How Frequency Of Meals May Affect Health

ScienceDaily (Mar. 11, 2008) — The health consequences of eating one large meal a day compared with eating three meals a day has not been established. Now two recently published journal articles are among the first to report the effects of meal skipping on key health outcomes, based on a study involving a group of normal-weight, middle-aged adults.
    The study analyses were authored by scientists at the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center in Beltsville, Md., and colleagues at the National Institute on Aging (NIA) Intramural Research Program in Baltimore, Md.
    For the study, a small group of male and female volunteers participated in two eight-week meal-treatment periods. The study's crossover design meant that each volunteer completed both of the treatment diets, enabling them to serve as their own controls.
    Volunteers were divided into one of two groups during each treatment period. They consumed either all of their required weight-maintenance calories in one meal a day or in three meals a day. ARS physiologists David Baer and William Rumpler and NIA neuroscientist Mark Mattson designed the study.

The first study analysis showed that consuming a one-meal-per-day diet, rather than a traditional three-meal-per-day diet, is feasible for a short duration. It showed that when the volunteers were "one-mealers," they had significant increases in total cholesterol, LDL "bad" cholesterol and in blood pressure, compared to when they were "three-mealers."
    The changes in cardiovascular disease risk factors occurred despite the fact that the one- mealers saw slight decreases in their weight and fat mass in comparison to when they were three-mealers. Those findings were published in the April 2007 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
    Further analysis of the study group showed that when the volunteers were one-mealers, they had higher morning fasting blood sugar levels, higher and more sustained elevations in blood sugar concentrations, and a delayed response to the body's insulin, compared to when they were "three-mealers." Insulin is required to lower blood sugar levels. Those findings were published in the December 2007 issue of Metabolism.

--http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080307084626.htm

The One-Meal-A-Day Mistake

People who think they’ll lose weight eating only one meal a day are almost always disappointed. It rarely works out.

When a person eats only one meal a day, a few different things occur. First, even though they’re eating only one meal a day, they often snack during the day, sometimes without even realizing it. Walk by a bowl of chocolates and take a one. Pass a bag of chips and grab a few. A couple of chips here, a chocolate or two there, and it all starts to add up.

Another thing to consider is this… When you eat only one meal a day, you tend to eat more during that meal. Because of this, you’re really not restricting your calories as much as you think you are. Add that to the fact that your metabolism may actually slow down if you only eat once a day and you quickly begin to understand why the one-meal-a-day folks just can’t seem to take the weight off.

--http://www.dietingtipsetc.com/why_one_meal_a_day_wont_cut_it.html

Do you see my point?
    Last edited by missy08; May 27th, 2008 at 12:50 AM.

"One meal a day". This is the "old slogan" to Feed a dog; this not a best choice to feed a dog, but this "plan" to a person...it's danger to your health and for emotional stability are very bad too.

And I assume you read these full papers?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kati1790 View Post
    Does anybody follow a 1-meal a day diet? I have friends who only eat a large dinner everynight and are quite thin/fit. i also read somewhere about someone following this diet for years and not gaining an ounce..
    wow one meal a day, it's not healthy. My diet is that i eat 5 times a day, and i going to fitness 3 times a week and it's great im losing weight. that one meal day diet is defiantly wrong and unhealthy, any one who knows anything about body will tell you the same

I like this thread.