Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Warm water, Lemon and Honey?!?! YES or NO!?

I keep getting contradicting answers when i google whether this is a good thing for your body.. some say it jump starts your metabolism.. some say it causes u to gain weight (the honey).. so can an expert puhleasseee tell me which is correct.. and if it is good for you.. why? why is warm water good for you? and how much lemon and honey do you suggest putting in a glass of warm water.. thanks!!

2. Google
    Utterly ridiculous.

That only reason I 'd be drinking hot lemons drinks is to soothe my colds.

Im not sure about the honey but I know it's good to have a glass of warm water (I normally do it 1 and a half part hot water and 2 and a half part normal tap water) with some lemon, first thing in the morning, before breakfast. It kinda washes out ur inside, gets rid of toxins etc and lubricates ur insides so the rest of the food you eat later, digests and moves through your body easier. It doesnt taste amazing but u get a sort of clean refreshing feeling. Im guessing thats the idea behind the honey, just to add taste maybe...? But yeah if you're going to do this, i recommend being near a toilet cos it can wash out waste rather quickly
    This does help and i tootally recommend it but dont expect too much from it, but every little helps, rite..??

A few years ago someone told me to drink warm water with lemon juice, cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp!) but sweetened with pure maple syrup. ( again just a tiny bit-- I tried it for awhile, but cannot say it was a real success -- I just gave it as I have never been a fan of maple syrup, and the cayenne was just too spicy-- even for me. I think this was part of some "detox" diet.

If everyone would just wait a few more months, I'm working on a mystical concoction that is sure to make your lives 1 million times better and burn fat like no other.

Stay tuned.

Contact me for details.

Steve
    I'll take two.

Matt

Thumbs down

Honey in water is a glassful of carbs. It'll take you in the wrong direction because it will give you an insulin spike, exactly what you'd be trying to avoid if you want to stay healthy and raise your mebabolism (elevated insulin, the result of blood sugar spikes, prevents your fat cells from realeasing stored fat).
    Last edited by SueK24; November 27th, 2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling typo

Insulin is unhealthy and slows your metabolism?

Huh?

Quick! Someone stop those diabetics!

Lemon in hot water is good for your body. It's not going to give you weightloss but it is good for you. Just like any citrus squeezed into water. Lemon is detoxing and good for your liver. I drink a fair bit of it with warm water all day long. Makes me feel fantastic.

I wouldn't add honey to it though. Extra calories.

The only time I tried warm water, lemon and honey was when my voice disappeared about an hour before a concert. It helped, but certainly didn't do anything for weight loss. And why would it? Water is water, and the lemon and honey are for the taste. The only thing you could get out of it is to feel full, but you could get the same thing with cold water, and without the extras.

And yeah, horrible insulin spikes as well. From a teaspoon of honey. And it totally slows your metabolism, actually makes it stop altogether!!! (<------ sarcasm, just for those who didn't get it!)
    Errrhm.....Anatomy and physiology for beginners anybody??

Cool

Hi Steve,

I meant to say blood sugar spike, which will elevate your insulin levels.

Yes, elevated insulin levels are unhealty. They lead to metabolic syndrome which leads to type 2 diabetes. Also, elevated insulin levels will prevent a person's fat cells from releasing their stored fat to be burned to produce ATP for their energy needs.
    Last edited by SueK24; November 18th, 2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: typo

I think you are slightly confused.

Insulin can and will spike throughout the day in response to feeding and this is healthy. Insulin raising doesn't mean you're going to get metabolic syndrome.

Also, fat cells will be released if energy is controlled. It's net energy balance that controls this more than anything.

Are you suggesting one shouldn't eat carbohydrates?

Hi Steve!

I'm not suggesting to go without carbohydrates. When making judicious carb choices, blood sugar need not ever spike. The healthy situation in regard to blood sugar is to keep it at generally more of an even keel. It is not a healthy situation to spike blood sugar throughout each day because doing so leads to elevated insulin levels. BTW, by elevated insulin levels, I mean specifically a reading over 10 on the fasting insulin blood test, which, incidentally, is typically that of the average American eating the average American diet. Elevated insulin is a precursor to metabolic syndrome. Elevated insulin locks the fat cells so that stored fat cannot be released to produce ATP.
    Last edited by SueK24; November 27th, 2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling and punctuation typos