Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curves

Question Curves

Hi everyone!!! Has anyone experienced much weight loss by using the curcuit at Curves? I'm contemplating a new workout regiment.

2. Google
    There are plenty of women who have gone and who have lost weight and are very happy with it. That's a fantastic thing! On the other hand, the American Council of Exercise has done research on the Curves curcuit that shows that the curcuit has a very minimal calorie burn, and based on heart rates and V02 max measurements there is little room for cardio vascular improvement. Another downside is that there is little room for growth. Also, using only machines for weights can lead to pattern overload syndrome, since you are stuck with one plane of motion using a machine, and stabilizer msucles are not used. However, if you have never worked out before it may be a decent way to start out.

One thing that bothers me as a personal trainer is that one workout is not the right workout for everyone. I design people's workout programs based on their goals, experience, needs, abilities, preferences, etc. I have never made 2 workouts the same because no 2 people are the same. That's something that bothers about a place like Curves. But don't think 'm trashing it! A lot of women really love it and that's great!

Sarah

Curves?

Wondering if anyone here does Curves. I am 27, just had a baby a few months ago. I thought about joining but I heard it's not a tough workout. I'm not actually looking for something hard core anyway, but I kind of get the feeling that using my stationary bike, doing Pilates, and doing arm excercises with light weights might be just as good.

If I'm motivated enough to do that at home, is the $30 a month worth it? (On a baby budget!)

Thank!
    bunnycat

Health Magazine had a review of the diet a while back:

http://www.health.com/health/web/Die..._complete.html

The “magic” of the Curves exercise plan is that you don’t waste time trying to fit in cardiovascular exercise before or after you hit the resistance machines. Instead, you do cardio moves between repetitions on the machines. That’s great for the time-deprived exerciser. This type of workout will no doubt help people get in better shape, but health professionals would probably say not to stop there. Current recommendations tell Americans to aim for 30 to 60 minutes of exercise each day, not just three times a week. As for the meal plans, the very low-carb or low-calorie limit dictated by the initial 2-week phase is definitely restrictive. Phase two is more realistic with its 1,600 calories or 40 to 60 grams of carbs. The 2,500 to 3,000 calories allowed during the maintenance phase could be a little high for some women, particularly for those who are petite.

Does the diet take and keep weight off? Unclear. There are plenty of anecdotal success stories in the book but no scientific findings—at least not yet. Baylor College of Medicine has accepted funds from the company to conduct clinical trials on the program. Is the diet healthy? That’s up for debate. Without long-term data on the safety and effectiveness of low-carb diets, it’s hard to endorse the skimpy 20 grams of carbs allowed on the carb-sensitive plan. Early reports suggest that in the short term a low-carb diet may be OK, but many health professionals are still skeptical. At 1,200 calories per day, the calorie-sensitive plan is probably safe, but that limit may be a bit low for most women, especially on the days they’re doing the 30-minute workout. A diet of 1,500 or 1,600 calories is probably more realistic.

What do the experts say? Registered dietitian Dawn Jackson Blatner, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association who does weight counseling at Northwestern Memorial Wellness Institute in Chicago, gives Curves a C grade. She says it features some positive messages, and she likes the focus on eating regular meals with plenty of vegetables and mostly lean protein. On the other hand, “the carbohydrate-sensitive plan strictly limits healthy foods such as fruit and whole grains,” Blatner says. “And the diet doesn’t offer many real-life strategies for healthy eating and healthy lifestyle changes to help this become a lifelong plan.” Registered dietitian Jane Kirby, who reviewed the program in Dieting for Dummies (Wiley, second edition, 2003), likes that exercise is a part of the regimen but questions why the author puts so little emphasis on calories as a means of aiding weight loss. “Calories in versus calories out is the bottom line for weight loss,” Kirby writes.

Who should consider the diet? Women dieters, since the fitness centers are for women only. Those who have a limited amount of time for exercise or who usually feel uncomfortable visiting a health club might like this approach.
    Bottom line: While any program that gets people moving is great, the food plans in the initial 2-week phase seem too restrictive.

I had looked at one of the clubs and honestly I didn't like that the time you could go work out was so limited...

You could always get a trial membership (I think it was Klondike's sugar free ice cream treats that had a free trial membership on their packaging) and see if you really like it before committing..

Thanks for the info. I am more interested in comments on the exercising. I would not do their diet, it's way too restrictive. I am dieting though- no more than 1500 calories a day and trying do go low carb, but I had to give up drinking for 9 months so I'm not giving it up now! LOL

I was with Curves for 1 year and found that the resistance equipment was not enough for me. Your body gets very used to that and there is really no way to up the weights to gain more strength. I have since joined another gym in that has free weights so when my body does get used to working with a certain weight, then I can up the ante. And I agree, 3 days a week at Curves does not work without a rigorous diet.

The American Council on Exercise has done research on how effective the Curves workout is. To summarize, if you are a sedentary person the workout will make a difference for a short period of time. The workouts on AVERAGE burn around 150-160 calories only. A pound of fat has 3500 calories! For someone who has not done any strength training may see minimal strength increases, but will plateau in a short period of time. Cardiovascular increases are minimal for those who are sedentary, and non existant for those who already exercise.
    So, if you don't workout at all and are sedentary, joining Curves for a short period of time may be beneficial, but not as beneficial as having a comprehensive exercise program that is specified to your needs.

Hope that helps!

Sarah

I have not been to curves but know quite of few people who have and they liked it at first, but it quickly became not enough for them.

Thanks for the feedback. Kind of had a feeling. Guess I am better off building up to longer/more resistence on my bike and heavier weights.

Curves

Hey was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this place seeing as their website doesn't really say alot...such as....
    ~How much is it for how long of a program?
    ~Can you only work out for 30 min a day?
    ~Can you only work out 3 times a week?
    Just general questions, thanks in advance!
    ~Ashley~

Well I have been a member of Curves for a year and a half, I beleive...when I went four times a week and started a diet I did really well...I like Curves...I feel great when I go and work out after I leave...I feel I am gettign a good work...it is a 30 min three days a week program, however you can go everyday if you choose...the circit has 12 machines I think...you go around twice and each machine exercises two muscel groups at a time...they say it is equivilant to working out at the gym for an hour, or something like that...a woman who works at my Curves has lost over 150 lbs by using the machines 3 times a week and eating healthy...It is no different than any other gym...the harder you work on the machines the more results you will see...They offer challenges and advance work outs and are there to support you in any way they can...we have a nutritionist that is also part of the team...they do bootcamps too...However it is expensive...When I joined it was 250.00 or something like that for a year...plus 41.00 a month...it doesnt come cheaply...I do like it though...I look forward to going and feel great after I have worked out...It is an excellent stress relief adn because it is so expensive it gives me the motivation I need to go...I just started going everyday...

ok...$250.00 PLUS $41.00 a month? (Why a monthly payment if your paying so much up front?) Ok Broke College Student--->ME Guess I'll stick to the YMCA....I get a discount for being a student there...even though there are guys there....oh well...

Wow! That is pricey! I am also a member of Cuves. It cost me $70 to join and $32 a month. Which is spendy enough, but I do like it. I have been there almost ayear and I've lost some weight. But I also don't thiunk it is quite up to gym standards. My opion. But I am an active person and 30 min. is not enough for me. I also work out at home. The support is great though!

I am a Curves girl and a HUGE fan! I joined in April of this year and lost 9 pounds and 17.25 inches in a little less than 3 months. I must admit I was skeptical intially but they proved me wrong. My job had a fitness competition and with it came a free month membership to Curves so I figured what the heck. Now I'm completely sold!

It is recommended that you go 3 times a week, but once I became addicted I was going 5 days a week. As someone says you can determine the intensity in which you work the machines,which will have an impact on your rate of loss. Just like with everything else, you can't work out and continue to eat the way that you have in the past and expect change....just not gonna happen. I stopped going five days a week and started powerwalking with a group from Curves on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The comfort level is what is the greatest for me, no men oogling you while you're working toward your goal. You're surrounded by women of all different ages, shapes, sizes and weight and everyone is so supportive.

Because I'm an eductor my sign up fee was waived and I pay $29 a month. All of the other fees are additional, like the fees someone else discussed earlier in regard to the specific weight loss program that Curves has, which inlcudes a nutrionist, a book and some other stuff. I chose not to join that but to change and monitor my own diet and include their work out. I did eventually buy the book that is used in the Curves program (only 5 bucks) and found that it was pretty consistent with what I was doing.

Overall, I can't say enough great things about Curves. The group effort from all the ladies is so inspiring and motivating and I really look forward to going. Over the summer I slacked off becasue I didn't have childcare (Curves doesn't offer it), but other than that I can't say a bad thing about it.

Of course the more your body becomes adjusted to any work out the more it will require to continue the weight loss. If you join a Curves that has a devoted and helpful staff they will teach you how to increase the intensity of your workout to allow for continued loss and avoid a plateau. My Curves has also done things like switching the direction of the circuit ever so often to aid with this in addition to some other things (the walking group).

I am of the belief that anything will work if you put the time, effort and faith into it. I love my Curves and wouldn't leave for anything in the world. I have added some supplemental strength training but Curves is essentially what got me to where I am, and I'm sticking with them.

I'm not sure about your local Curves but mine often offers enrollment specials. Ever since I've been a member they've been selling 20 oz bottles of water and if you give an empty bottle to a friend and they bring it in when they join they get 50% off the enrollment fee. There's also a month or week free that is always being advertised so that women can come in and try it out before deciding if they will join or not. I would recommend that you go in and talk with the owner/trainers of your local Curves to see what specials they are running or which ones they anticipate running. There may be deals for students, I'm not sure, but there are for many different professional sects.

Best of luck and I hope you decide to join...I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I use to be a member of Curves until very recently, my dad and I are now going to Bally Total Fitness together. I LOVE Curves, the people there were so supportive and going there and eating healthy has helped me loose ALOT of weight!!! Bally Total Fitness is also a GREAT place!!!! They have alot of cardio machines (the eliptical is my absolute favorite!!) and they have alot of weight training and resistance training machines, and plus they have an actual gym, a swimming pool, sauna, steam room, etc. I love both Curves and Bally Total Fitness and would definitly recomend both places, it just depends on which one is better for your lifestyle.