How to lose 15 lbs in 3 weeks :(

Help! I need to lose 15 lbs in 3 weeks for an event. all my banquet dresses don't fit no more (unless i lose those 15lbs )

does anyone have any suggests or tips on how to do this?

I am already exercising everyday now for the past week, for about 1 hour cardio each day. I am not sure if this is enough or should I be doing more?

2. Google
    I really don't suggest losing that much weight in three weeks. Depending on your current weight and goals it can be unsafe or detrimental. There are however some things you can do to help the process, some of which you may be doing already.

#1: Do your cardio first thing in the morning before your breakfast.

#2: If doing your cardio later in the day lift weights before you start.

#3: Adjust your diet, which you most likely have done already. More meals, smaller portions, no fast food, complex carbs only(whole wheat, brown rice, carrots, celery), etc.

#4: Drink more water so your body doesn't retain as much.

#5: Get a rough count of the calories you take in on a daily basis and adjust your activity level according to it. You don't have to be religious about the exact amount.

Your diet will play an important role in whether you meet the goal. If you have any questions such as why some of these things work or about your diet just send me a private message I would love to help. I hope you meet your goal :P

You'll probably need to crash diet to get those results. It is not really a healthy option. You need to decide if "fitting into that dress" > your overall health.

Fitting into the dress does not mean you will look good. If, your only problem is you cannot afford a dress and so you HAVE to fit into one of those, then try borrowing one.

15 lbs in three weeks is not a realistic goal. You would be better off looking for alternatives. The deficit you would need to create to lose 5lbs a week is roughly 2500 calories a day.

So that means every day for 3 weeks you need to exercise and diet enough to create a 2500 calorie deficit.

The problems are you won't be able to maintain the level of activity needed to burn off the excess calories on the amount of calories you would be eating (which would be low.)

Sorry to get realistic on you, but its best to find a dress that looks good on you over one you might be able to fit in if you lost 15lbs.

hope you have a great time and find something that works for you
    Last edited by jeffisbig; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Sorry to say it but depending on her starting weight and current activity level losing fifteen in three weeks can certainly be a realistic goal. It really isn't a healthy goal but if she is determined to reach it then she could.

The problems are you won't be able to maintain the level of activity needed to burn off the excess calories on the amount of calories you would be eating (which would be low.)
    This is wrong.

Please state how it is wrong. Allow me to educate you on how I came to my conclusion.

To burn off an excess of 2500 calories a day, diet alone (unless we are talking extremely obese) is not a realistic possibility. Without knowing her weight it is difficult to say anything, but 2500 calories a day is more than just a little. Exercising more than 2 hours a day 7 days a week on little to no calories is not gonna work, I doubt someone could last one week.

Lets say she is a 35 year old woman who weighs 200 lbs (Im guessing less, for some reason the 15lbs makes me think closer to 150, but I could be wrong - I'm merely guessing with very very little available information).

That means to maintain current weight she can eat around 2k calories a day. Lets drop that down to 1200 for the diet. Thats only 800 calories, that means an additional 1700 calories burned a day are needed. She would burn roughly 500 - 600 calories an hour. Thats 3 hours of running. A day. 7 Days a week. On 1200 calories a day.

If she weighs less, then the numbers get even smaller. She states in one post "120lbs here I come" so its somewhat reasonable to assume she is under 150 (but again no definites, 120 could be ultimate goal and not 15lbs away).

Imagine just three consecutive days of that. Taking a rest day would mean having to account for those calories on the other days increasing the amount of exercise or decreasing the amount of calories allowed to be eaten.

This argument is pointless though. This person's goal is not likely. Moreso it is borderline dangerous. My original post was trying to help her look for alternatives to losing 15lbs by showing how realistically it probably would not happen.
    Last edited by jeffisbig; March 24th, 2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typo

I dont know about her, but i easily ate under 1500 calories a day, and burned over 1700 a day 7 days a week on my bike for 3 weeks and ive lost 15 lb's.

I even had a semi-splurge day each week.

so i know for fact its possible.Healthy wise, i guess it depends on what you eat, i feel more healthy then ever, and have energy i dont know what to do with.

How much do you weigh? Also are you a male? Those two things can make a huge difference.

Everyone is unique. Also, I lost 15 lbs in three weeks when I started. It was mostly water weight--i assume, none of my clothes fit easier or better. I also weighed 265 and was only eating 1500-1600 calories a day. I wasn't exercising more than 40 minutes 3x a week (and only three days the first week if I recall correctly.)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffisbig View Post
    How much do you weigh? Also are you a male? Those two things can make a huge difference.

Everyone is unique. Also, I lost 15 lbs in three weeks when I started. It was mostly water weight--i assume, none of my clothes fit easier or better. I also weighed 265 and was only eating 1500-1600 calories a day. I wasn't exercising more than 40 minutes 3x a week (and only three days the first week if I recall correctly.)
    Yeah im male.I weighed 200, im 185 now.Its not water weight.I have body monitor that measures bone,fat,water,lean mass.My fat % went from 30 to 25 in the past 3 weeks.

But i am exercising alot.On average 2 hours a day, plus ive added 2-3 hours of hikeing 2 times a week.

I was told even if you under eat, and keep working your muscles, your body has no choice then to burn your fat reserves.Im not sure how much truth there is to that, but this method has worked for me 3 times in my life.

if you aren't getting adequate protein you'll lose more muscle mass. You are gonna lose some muscle mass. Im pretty sure its unavoidable.

Which really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffisbig View Post
    if you aren't getting adequate protein you'll lose more muscle mass. You are gonna lose some muscle mass. Im pretty sure its unavoidable.

Which really sucks.
    Whats an adequate amount of protien a day?I try to eat healthy foods with lots of protien, like for example my morning oatmeal is high in protien.

You might be right, i probably will loose some muscle mass, but im pretty confident i will loose more fat then muscle.I remember a fitness trainer telling me once that if you want to loose weight fast, you have to trick your body to burn your fat reserves, but your body naturally wants to store it, and burn muscle, but if you keep those muscles active on a daily basis, your body wont attack them, and will burn your fat reserves instead.(something along those lines)

I also take organic whole food nutrient supplements to help balance the nutrients i would normally be getting if i was eating more.So far its been working great, i always have tons of energy.

I'd second the opinion that losing that much weight that fast is probably not good for your health - your best bet would be dropping your calories about 500 per day, so you'd lose about a pound a week. But since you have 3 weeks, you might want to look into some crash diet options. Just be careful if you do chose to go that route!