Question Gastric Balloon - Advice PLEASE!!

I'm having gastric balloon fitted on Tuesday, by NHS & very concerned about procedure itself. Any advice please??!! I want to know what to expect

2. Google
    I'm confused - hasn't your doctor talked to you about what to expect? Haven't you done research on the process before committing to it?

Why would you schedule a major surgical procedure that could (and will) adversely impact your health w/out finding out more information about it BEFORE you make that commitment?

Of course I've looked into this & researched it!!!!!!! Its certainly not a decision I have made lightly. I know that I will be given a mild sedative & a tube passed down my throat in order to insert the balloon.

I was merely asking for people's experience of this procedure as I don't know anyone who has had it done. I'm worried about gagging etc.

This is first time I've posted anything but if the replies I get are like yours then it will be the last one.

J - I'm not trying to be harsh or rude, but it seems to me like you've scheduled this invasive procedure w/out any knowledge of what's to come.

I am suggesting - honestly and respectfully - that maybe you should consider postponing this until you've done more research. Gagging is not only possible, but likely. So is throwing up for the several days following the procedure - and possibly longer than that. There are a LOT of negative side effects to this procedure and it just seems to me that you haven't really looked into anything past the very basics.

Again, I'm NOT being rude ... I'm being honest.

I am not an imbecile & can assure you that I gained extensive knowledge of what to expect after the procedure but simply wanted more info about during the procedure.

I've not just got myself to think about but also my two son's, therefore, I have thoroughly researched this subject.

I'm having this done on the NHS & have not just decided one day that I want a balloon fitted then booked myself in for is privately the next. I've been on the waiting list for nearly one year, during this time I have attended numerous group as well as one-to-one sessions. Yet I've not met anyone who has had this procedure as most people were having or had had the gastric band or bypass not the balloon. I was set a target amount of weight to lose before the NHS would even consider me for the procedure.

As I've said before I wanted people's experiences of the procedure itself & as you don't even know me, I find it bizarre that you could come to the conclusion that I have not researched or looked into this matter beforehand. Today alone I've sat 'surfing' the net for 6 hours reading people's experiences after the procedure, both good & bad.

I'll reiterate that I was after peoples experiences of the procedure itself.

There is a section in this forum for Gastric Balloons and similar methods. You can find it here:

Surgical Weight Loss - Weight Loss Forum

There are plenty of threads regarding the gastric balloon and people's experiences with it, I am sure you will find what you are looking for there.

You may or may not have noticed - but there is a surgical weight loss section. I suggest that you take a good look through that section's recently updated threads on your topic and see if any green lights are on next to the name of any poster (which signifies that they are logged in). If so - try to contact that person with your question. They may easily not be looking in the newcomer section. You have such a short time before your surgery...

I seem to remember that you had to make a minimum number of postings before you could send a PM when I joined the forum. A few queries to relevant threads in that section may serve your purpose with that too.

I have to say that my first reaction to your posting was similar to Kara's - as you did not make clear the fact that you had done any research - simply that you wanted to know what to expect.
    2007 was 294 pounds

Got to goal - but currently a little overweight...

Quote Originally Posted by KaraCooks View Post

Why would you schedule a major surgical procedure that could (and will) adversely impact your health w/out finding out more information about it BEFORE you make that commitment?
    I've been doing some research on the gastric balloon and from everything I've read, I would in no way classify it as 'a major surgical procedure' or 'invasive'. Can you clarify why you think this?

A mild sedation is used to avoid gagging, the procedure is endoscopic and you are in and out in a few hours - no local or general anesthetic or incisions/cutting/stapling as used in a surgical procedure.

Thanks!

You're right - it's not necessarily a surgical procedure, but it's most definitely invasive. You're having a foreign object inserted into your body while under sedation - and sedation can be just as dangerous as general anesthesia.

Besides that any cursory/basic research tells you that you will suffer nausea, heart burn, pain, vomiting, diarrhea, gastric dumping, an inability to eat solid foods for a significant length of time, bloating, cramps, etc.

Yet people come here time and time and time again saying that they've ALREADY SCHEDULED the procedure and they want to know what to expect. And my questions are:
    1 - What kind of doctor schedules a procedure with these known side effects and without first informing the patient of all of them
    2 - What kind of person schedules a procedure that involves sticking foreign objects into their bodies while they're under sedation w/out first researching the process?

And with regard to #2, I'm not talking about the person who comes and says that they're looking for more info, but those who say "My procedure is tomorrow and I don't know what to expect" or "I've scheduled this for next week can someone tell me what their experience has been." Those are the things you should ask BEFORE you make the decision - not after.

How did it go?

I know this thread's been dead for a while but just in case you guys are still visiting:

J-Mo: How did it go? i'm sorry you got the reception you did - hope it wasn't that that put you off posting anymore. I'd love to know how it all went and how you're finding it.

Frenchie - what did you decide to do?

All the best