C25K anyone do it quicker than 9 weeks?

I just started tonight. It was tough, I've done it before up to week 5 or so but on the treadmill, and that was over a year ago. I was planning on doing it 3 days in a row, then one day off, then the next week in the next 3 days, and one off and so on.

My friend runs everyday to get back up in shape, but she's up to a few miles a day running, so I dunno if I can do something similiar. I want to do some cardio 5-6 days a week. I'm not worried of getting burned out (its very little actual cardio 30-40 minutes/day 5-6 days a week is what you shuold be getting according to most medical recommendations), I just want to know if anyone tried it like this and how it worked out?

2. Google
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisbig View Post
    I just started tonight. It was tough, I've done it before up to week 5 or so but on the treadmill, and that was over a year ago. I was planning on doing it 3 days in a row, then one day off, then the next week in the next 3 days, and one off and so on.

My friend runs everyday to get back up in shape, but she's up to a few miles a day running, so I dunno if I can do something similiar. I want to do some cardio 5-6 days a week. I'm not worried of getting burned out (its very little actual cardio 30-40 minutes/day 5-6 days a week is what you shuold be getting according to most medical recommendations), I just want to know if anyone tried it like this and how it worked out?
    I'm still stuck on week 2. I've been pretty much stuck on it and afraid to do week 3 for at least a month.

Running is hard for me, and I'm 45 lbs overweight. By the end of a 90 second interval in week 2 I am literally gasping for air. At the end of the total runs sometimes I get a sick feeling and sharp pains in my side. I also have nasty ankle pain (dull throbbing ache) from running that doesn't go away since I started 2 months ago.

I just don't think the jump from 90 seconds to 5 minutes is fair, or even possible for me right now. I can probably do 2 minutes straight, but 5 minutes? No way. I just plan to do week 2 until it gets easier, then tackle week 3. I don't see how people can run a mile without stopping, right now for me that is impossible.

I just don't think the jump from 90 seconds to 5 minutes is fair
    Where are you getting a jump from 90 seconds to 5 minutes?

The plan for the 3rd week is to alternate jogging and walking as follows:
    5 min warmup
    jog 90 sec
    walk 90 sec
    jog 3 min
    walk 3 min
    jog 90 sec
    walk 90 sec
    jog 3 min
    walk 3 min
    5 min cooldown

You don't get into 5 mins until week 4.

Aside from that, I don't get "fair". It's not "fair" or "unfair". You can take this at your own speed and repeat weeks as often as you want.

But I will tell you this, Spark, and I know I've told you this before about your injuries - if you keep running on injuries, you're going to damage your body so badly that you'll never be able to run again.

You MUST take care of your body. Some people simply cannot run - their bodies just can't handle it. It may be time for you to table running for a while until your body has healed. Obviously I can't make you do anything and you can choose to destroy your ankles, legs, and joints, but I think you're making a foolish choice to press ahead with this when you're causing yourself pain.

Pain is the body's way of saying STOP. You really should listen to your body.

My one friend swears by the bike because its better for you than running (as far injuries go). I don't find stationary bikes satisfying, and I broke the last real bike I was on (went over a curb and broke back wheel. I was at my heaviest then and not riding to get in shape, was doing it for fun. It was embarrasing though, luckily I was alone.)

So maybe switch to bike riding? If you get pain you really should stop as was said. Sore is ok, pain is not. I told my friend this when he was lifting with pain. He didn't really listen (went 'light') and hurt himself. Not badly, just a sprain, but he had to take a few weeks off.

Quote Originally Posted by KaraCooks View Post
    Where are you getting a jump from 90 seconds to 5 minutes?

The plan for the 3rd week is to alternate jogging and walking as follows:
    5 min warmup
    jog 90 sec
    walk 90 sec
    jog 3 min
    walk 3 min
    jog 90 sec
    walk 90 sec
    jog 3 min
    walk 3 min
    5 min cooldown

You don't get into 5 mins until week 4.

Aside from that, I don't get "fair". It's not "fair" or "unfair". You can take this at your own speed and repeat weeks as often as you want.

But I will tell you this, Spark, and I know I've told you this before about your injuries - if you keep running on injuries, you're going to damage your body so badly that you'll never be able to run again.

You MUST take care of your body. Some people simply cannot run - their bodies just can't handle it. It may be time for you to table running for a while until your body has healed. Obviously I can't make you do anything and you can choose to destroy your ankles, legs, and joints, but I think you're making a foolish choice to press ahead with this when you're causing yourself pain.

Pain is the body's way of saying STOP. You really should listen to your body.
    Kara, I want to be a runner. I'm not good at it but I think its a great excerise as well as is convenient (You can do it anywhere).

I had already decided to take the next 2 days off. And i'm glad to hear week 3 is only 3 minutes of running 2 times, I *might* be able to do that. Although 2 mins is probably pushing it, I'll try it once I heal.

Kara, I have to say though, the pain is not too bad. It's just a dull ache. That isn't normal?

How long should I not run for before I attempt this again?
    And I'm so glad now I bought that bike, at least now if I cannot run due to injuries I can bicycyle.

Also, should I avoid the strength training such as doing lunges with this pain?
    Last edited by SparkErosion; October 7th, 2009 at 11:55 AM.

Seriously I can so appreciate WANTING to be a runner. I really can ... !

But you're hurting yourself and you really need to stop for a little bit. Pain is not normal. Pain that continues when you're not running is BEYOND BAD. Dull aches are bad - they can mean stress fractures or torn tendons or other bad things.

Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong. Listen to it.

I would take at least a week to 10 days off of running.

I know that's not the advice you want to hear, but again it goes back to the question of whether you want to take a little longer to get to where you can run or whether you want to damage your body so badly that you'll never run.

It is NOT failure to take the time to heal from injury.

And I would continue to do lunges and squats as long as you're not feeling pain from doing them. If you feel pain from them, then find something else. But honestly lunges and squats aren't high impact, so I doubt that they're the problem.

I wouldn't go all kick-your-ass-Kara on you if I wasn't honestly worried and didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by KaraCooks View Post
    Seriously I can so appreciate WANTING to be a runner. I really can ... !

But you're hurting yourself and you really need to stop for a little bit. Pain is not normal. Pain that continues when you're not running is BEYOND BAD. Dull aches are bad - they can mean stress fractures or torn tendons or other bad things.

Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong. Listen to it.

I would take at least a week to 10 days off of running.

I know that's not the advice you want to hear, but again it goes back to the question of whether you want to take a little longer to get to where you can run or whether you want to damage your body so badly that you'll never run.

It is NOT failure to take the time to heal from injury.

And I would continue to do lunges and squats as long as you're not feeling pain from doing them. If you feel pain from them, then find something else. But honestly lunges and squats aren't high impact, so I doubt that they're the problem.

I wouldn't go all kick-your-ass-Kara on you if I wasn't honestly worried and didn't care.
    Kara, it's mainly my left leg that hurts, my right doesn't. But whenever I exert pressure on it, even walking, it hurts. Lunges do hurt me..I'm just afraid if I do them it will make it worse.

I do appreciate you caring. Thank you