Thread: is ham healthy?

is ham healthy?

just a quick question, is ham heathy for u? Does anybody know how many kj or cal it has?? Thanks =D

2. Google
    Dunno. Look it up?

Part of learning to eat healthy is learning to find this information on your own.

You can google "ham calories" or you can look it up on someplace like fitday.com or thedailyplate.com. Or if you're buying something packaged or from a known store, check out their website and see if they provide nutritional info.

(Really I'm not trying to be snotty or bitchy about this. I'm pointing out that going forward, if you plan to make eating healthy a lifestyle, learning how to get the information you need and then how to interpret it is very important. You have to decide what's healthy for YOU - rather than having someone else dictate what foods you can and can't eat. )

hey no, i know you trying to help me =) i did once look it up, but i didnt really get an answer, but i will use ur websitea and give it another go. thanks =)

Whether ham is "healthy" depends on a lot of things, including what it's made out of, what your goals are, etc. Ham can be fairly low in calories depending on what you get, but tends to be high in sodium. So, if you're trying to avoid sodium, it's not so great. If you like the taste and want a protein source that can be lean, then ham could be a good choice. Also, let's say you are trying to avoid preservatives like nitrates, ham is probably not good unless you get nitrate free ham. . . Permutations are limitless. . .

(1) It's not the "other" white meat .. that's marketing
    (2) "Bacon's good" ... if you believe John Travolta
    (3) Moderation ... that's always key. Look to the Chinese for an example. They consume pork as a staple, but combine it with many vegables, and don't eat too much (e.g. St. Louis or Baby Backs monthly!)

I was wondering about those yummy southwestern taco salads that Wendy's has. I found the info on-line and was shocked that there is a whopping 645 calories in it! That includes the dressing, tortilla chips, sourcream and chilli. Ugh. I'll be thinking twice about that meal. Or at least only get it as a treat. Anyway, my point is that you can find a lot of sources for calorie counting on-line. Happy surfing!