Reshape body through exercise

How does one reshape their body? When I was thinner, my body was for lack of a better word, imbalanced. I was a size 5/7, however my upper body was much bigger than my lower body, giving me the appearance of a man from a distance when my hair was up. I know that I can't get rid of broad shoulders, but is there any way I could add some more muscle to my bottom? I literally had no bum and let me tell you, it's not the most flattering look on a woman.

I want to tone (not add muscle or bulk) to my upper body, avoid adding muscle to my waistline, and add muscle to my hips, butt, and legs. My legs and hips are rather weak and I have NO strength when it comes to balancing (stooping down sometimes causes me to topple over). Not to brag or anything, but according to my height, my legs are on the longer side and I know if I did the correct exercises, I could have some nice legs.

I have no idea how to do this or start. I know adding weights to my exercise regime could help tremendously, but I don't know what to do first. Any ideas?

2. Google
    Well, for exercises, when I think legs, I think squats, lunges, deadlifts and step ups. I'd start by googling leg & glute exercises.

I'd start with reading the sticky thread in the exercise area of the board ... there's one called "The Conceptual Side of Weight Lifting". I think it will help with some of the misconceptions you have about weights and body composition.

The first thing I'd say is that you need to ditch the whole concept of "toning" vs. "gaining muscle" - because there's no such thing as "toning" in the sense that you're talking about. Either you're building/strengthening muscle, or you're not. Toning is a function of endurance - and not of body shape.

What you want is to develop muscle EVENLY over your whole body, and learning how to lift weights properly to work the muscles you don't see as well as the muscles you do ... that's the key for you, I think.

Really do read those threads by Steve and ask questions based on them. There's a TON of good information there that will help you with your goal.

I'm just going to add a little: "What kara and D said"

Quote Originally Posted by KaraCooks View Post

The first thing I'd say is that you need to ditch the whole concept of "toning" vs. "gaining muscle" - because there's no such thing as "toning" in the sense that you're talking about. Either you're building/strengthening muscle, or you're not. Toning is a function of endurance - and not of body shape.
    What if I don't want to add more muscle to my upper body? I'll look huge! Everyone tells me that there's no way for me to add muscle to look like a man, but trust me on MY body, there is!