Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bananas: weight loss or gain?

Do eating bananas make you gain weight or lose weight? I tried to look online but some sites say it's good for weight LOSS while other sources say you should not eat bananas because they will make you GAIN weight. So confusing

2. Google
    It all depends on how you eat them - although I'll be honest and say I've never heard of them being used specifically for weight loss.

If you eat nothing but raw fruit & vegetables - such as bananas - you'd probably lose weight.

If you eat 10 bananas every day in addition to everything else, there's a good chance you'd gain weight.

If you sliced half a banana into your yogurt or mixed it in a smoothie it probably wouldn't matter.

No specific food is going to make you lose or gain weight - although it's easier to overeat some foods than others. For example, if I ate as many bananas as I wanted, I'd probably eat more calories than if I ate as much celery or lima beans as I wanted

I don't refuse to eat bananas, but I try to eat fruits like strawberries and other berries that are higher in fiber and lower in calories when I have the option. Hope that helps and that what I said makes sense!

bananas are food. Nothing more and nothing less. Food has calories. Too many calories makes you gain weight.

IE: everything in moderation.

a banana is way better than a snickers bar that's the way i look at it... i kinda use the banana as my candy bar craving curber..

Quote Originally Posted by Primevci View Post
    a banana is way better than a snickers bar that's the way i look at it... i kinda use the banana as my candy bar craving curber..
    this is so true

I think bananas have more calories than most non fatty vegetables or fruits, but still way less than a cheeseburger, or most carbs.
    For me bananas are a great low-ish calorie snack and breakfast food. Keep track of calories, and you'll be fine, I think bananas only have about 100 calories each. (med size)
    or possibly up to 150 cals for the bigger ones.

Yes of course bananas are natural weight loss food. It has vitamin B6 & vitamin C. Bananas are ideal for people looking to lose or maintain weight through sound nutrition, while also giving the body sustenance for daily strength and fitness.
    So think you should go with bananas as a weight loss diet.
    Last edited by seoalexray; December 16th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.

So... like others have pointed out, bananas is just food. It has, on averace, 82 kcal per 100g of edible stuff which means that it is, compared to many plants, pretty high in caloric content, but compared to grains and animal products it is a low calorie food.

It is high in nutrients which makes it a good source of several micronutrients (vitamins, minerals etc.) and it is an excellent substitute for eggs in vegan cooking.

Besides that, the law of thermodynamics didn't change so weight loss and gain is about how many calories you eat vs how many calories you use. Bananas, like all food, when eaten, increases your total caloric intake.

Substitute for eggs? Really? Like... Erm, my pumpking pie recipe that involves eggs... you'd sub in bananas instead? Curiouser and curiouser...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette401 View Post
    Substitute for eggs? Really? Like... Erm, my pumpking pie recipe that involves eggs... you'd sub in bananas instead? Curiouser and curiouser...
    Yeah, it binds nicely and levets or whatever the english word is for it. It is easy peasy to make instant banana breads for cake-like munching, only without all the egg from chickens living in mini cages killing each other due to stress insanity from not even being able to turn their heads. Its goodstuff(tm) I tell you!

I am now very curious to see how it would turn out in a pumpkin pie I may have to experiment one of these days! Of course, since I use evaporated milk it still wouldn't be vegan, but c'est le vie

Anything will lead to weight gain if you eat too much of it, but bananas are a healthy food choice while trying to lose weight. Somewhat of a wonder food bananas benefit you in more ways than most realize. It can improve your mood if you are depressed, help reduce the risk of certain cancers, heartburn relief, and many others. Just google the banana benefits.

Keep those bananas as part of your diet, but of course everything in moderation.

Jeanette > Silken tofu can also be a good replacer for eggs in pies tho. But I dig bananas, it just somehow feel awesome. I even get to think of ray comforts amazing "the banana is proof of god" video while cooking

I remember when the "Banana Diet" was the craze of Japan a while back. There were absolutely no bananas in the stores in so many places of Japan. (I'm not exaggerating) The shortage was even covered on the news.

I think it's still a trend in some places. "Eat warm water and a banana for breakfast right when you wake up" is basically the diet plan since you can eat what ever you want throughout the day after that.

I think it's funny

Lol, thats a pretty hilarious diet plan. Sounds like a weak-willed version of the grape diet of hollywood fame.