quick weight loss

A female friend of mine wanted to loss 10lb really fast, she had 3 protein shakes per day and 1 low fat, protein meal per day, she lost this in 5 days, It may of been water loss but she has never put the weight back on, thinking of doing this for 1-2 weeks for the run up to christmas and hopefully loss a quick stone (14 lbs).

2. Google
    Why not look into the HCG diet? You can lose that much weight and keep it off.

OR..here is the better idea..stop trying to find quick weight loss. Stop being impatient and understand it takes time. This isn't a crash diet website. It's about real weight loss and that takes changes to your lifestyle. You don't need still unproven fad drugs like HCG. About the HCG, you do realize that the highly restrictive low calorie diet has more to do with weight loss than HCG. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091)

Sorry Jericho. Never meant to cause any harm here.

Have a great day

Weight loss is a highly variable and individual process and also changes over time. The way you can lose weight in your twenties may not work when you're in middle age. Your "set point" changes when you get older. You can eat less in your 50's than you consumed in your twenties and not lose weight because of this change in your personal "set point".

There are many scientific publications out there about HCG diets being a scam. I don't want to post links, because I'm guilty of not reading the forum rules and don't know if links in posts are allowed. http://files.weight-loss.fitness.com...lies/smile.gif

It is possible to lose weight fast, sure. It is also very unhealthy. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds of fat per week, and that takes considerable effort. Losing 10 pounds in 5 days is a shock to your body - it will most likely slow down your metabolism, because you are basically putting your body into the shutdown mode where it will want to store whatever energy it gets. Also, these 10 pounds are most certainly water weight. Water weight may not come back for a while, especially if you maintain a state of relative dehydration. A human being can't lose 10 pounds of fat tissue in 5 days. It would require creating a 35,000 calorie deficit in 5 days, which is basically not eating anything at all and running at 6 mph for 57 hours in those 5 days. I'd say, that's a stretch!

I agree with you. Too much weight, lost too fast is asking for metabolic trouble. Also, weight that is lost first is usually muscle then fat. Decreasing calories and increasing exercise and activity is not sometimes easy to do, but it's a start especially if you've been sedentary. Increased weight gain does not happen overnight and it can't be gotten rid of overnight also.

Too much weight loss too soon is bad on the body! Find a long term plan, it will last longer.

I started out at 205lbs in January. I am 5'8". By following a specific diet and exercise routine I went down to 180 in June. Now I am at 168 trying to lose 8 lbs. This is a challenge at this time of the year. But if I can get through the holidays without gaining then I think I'll be ok!!

While I fully agree that losing weight slowly is the way to go, and the best way to keep it off is by making lifestyle changes, I can't help but think fast weight loss is more beneficial than no weight loss. If you are obese or even morbidly obese, wouldn't it be better to take off 8-10 lbs per week than to stay obese?

On The Biggest Loser they take off 20-30 lbs the first week, and many of them continue to lose 8-10 lbs per week for a large portion of the show. I just think that for someone like myself who is 100 lbs overweight the benefits of losing weight quickly would outweigh the drawbacks. Am I wrong in making this assumption? If I am wrong, why is this wrong? There are clearly many health issues with being overweight to begin with, and quick weight loss will alleviate some if not all of these issues. I am planning to lose 2-2.5 lbs per week myself, but it would be nice to take off the first 20-25 over the next couple or few weeks.

I fully agree that lifestyle changes and gradual consistent weight loss is still the best way to go for long term results, but just interested in the opinions of others regarding this matter.

Mainly? The human body isn't designed for it. You will lose weight faster if you are bigger but when you go too fast, there are medical side effects. Skipping the side effects, there is the mental side. Rapid weight loss doesn't come from healthy and smart choices in diet changes.

Take Biggest Loser..they lose so much because 1) it;s actually not a week..it's longer. 2) They go on a severly restricted diet. 3) They exercise to the point of breaking. 4) You really shouldn't be using a television reality show where some contestants actually choose to put on weight as a strategy.

Or and 5) most of those people put the weight and more back on because like most people who lose weight too quick, it's not because they learned proper lifestyle changes.

If you feel that you really need to lose weight 'FAST', talk to your doctor. He might put you on a LCD (low calorie diet) and monitor your progress in case of the side effects.

I don't think you caught what I was trying to say. I have no plans to do anything like the Biggest Loser plan, nor do I need to lose weight quickly.

I am asking what specific health issues would come from quick weight loss, and would they outweigh the many problems associated with obesity?

I get that lifestyle changes are easier to maintain once the weight is gone, but who's to say that someone couldn't severely restrict their diet and lose 5-8 lbs per week and change to a diet that will help them maintain after the majority of the weight is gone.

The Biggest Loser was just an example of people losing weight quickly.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fast-weight-loss/AN01621

here you go

Also add that rapid weight loss tends to be muscle, not fat. There is an increase in the possibility of gallstones, lack of energy, dehydration, malnutrition, hair loss, electrolyte imbalances and so forth. When the medical community says 1% of your body weight a week, I'll go with what the doctors say.

From that study you linked to:

In some situations, however, faster weight loss can be safe if it's done the right way. For example, doctors might prescribe very low calorie diets for rapid weight loss if obesity is causing serious health problems. But an extreme diet like this requires medical supervision.

This was what I was asking more than anything. It can be safer to lose weight quickly when you are suffering from issues directly related to obesity.

They also said that this should only be done when closely monitored by a physician.

With all of this said, I was in agreement with you from the beginning. I was just interested in hearing if it were better to lose weight quickly and deal with the side effects over losing weight slowly. It sounds like the general consensus on this issue is something similar to: Most people should lose 1-2 lbs per week, unless there are significant factors that would be helped by rapid weight loss.

Thanks for your research and input on the matter.

I think I may have found a forum that's definitely worth the time to get involved with.

Well 1% of body weight, not 1-2 lbs though that is about the number for most people.