Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

why water is so important for weight loss

normally i drink 68-70 oz of water per day. i think someone on here told me it was too much so i decided to look it up and find out for sure! as it turns out i should be drinking 80 oz per day because i am 25 pounds overweight plus i exercise daily. so im going to copy and paste what i have found.

Incredible as it may seem... Water is the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off!

Although most of us take it for granted...

Pure, clean water may be the only true Magic Potion for permanent weight loss!

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase!

And an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits!

Here's the reason why...

The kidneys cannot function properly without enough water. When they do not work to capacity, some of their load is dumped on the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it cannot work at full throttle.

As a result, it metabolizes less fat... more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops!

Drinking an adequate amount of water every day is the best treatment for fluid retention. But when your body is given less water than it needs... it perceives the shortage as a threat to survival and will begin to retain every drop. Water reserves are stored in extra-cellular spaces (outside the cells). This water can show up as swollen feet, hands and legs.

Diuretics only offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns.

The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs - plenty of water - only then will stored water be released.

If water retention is a constant problem for you... excess salt may be to blame.

Your body will only tolerate sodium in certain concentrations. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of unneeded salt is easy -- just drink water! As the water is forced through the kidneys, it will remove the excess sodium.

Over weight people need more water than thin people. Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism... it follows that the over weight person needs more water to metabolize excess fat.

Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone... which in turn, aids proper muscle contraction and prevents dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss. Shrinking cells are buoyed by water which plums the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient. Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has more waste to get rid of - all that metabolized fat must be shed.

Again . . . Water helps flush out this waste!

Water can help relieve constipation...

The colon is a primary internal water source. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. Result? Constipation. But when a person drinks enough water... normal bowel function will return.

So far, we have discovered same remarkable truths about water and about weight loss... the body will not function properly without enough water and cannot metabolize stored fat efficiently. On the household weight scales... Retained water shows up as excess weight.

It may seem strange, but to get rid of excess water... you must drink more water! Drinking water is essential to losing weight.

How much water is enough?

If you are of normal weight for your height, then on average you should drink (8) eight -- 8 oz. glasses of pure water every day. However, if you are overweight you should take (1) one additional glass for every 25 lbs. of excess weight you are trying to lose. The amount that you drink should be increased if you exercise, or if the weather is hot and dry.

Preferably, your drinking water should be taken cold...

Cold water is absorbed more quickly into the system than warm water. Some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually burn calories. To utilize water most efficiently during weight loss, follow this schedule:

Morning: 1 Quart of pure water over 30 minutes
    Noon: 1 Quart of pure water over 30 minutes
    Evening: 1 Quart of pure water between 5-6 P.M.

When the body gets all the water it needs to function optimally, all body system fluids will perfectly balance.

When this happens . . . you reach the "breakthrough point".

So what does that mean?
    Endocrine gland function improves...

Fluid retention is alleviated as stored water is lost...

More fat can be used as fuel because the liver is free to
    metabolize stored fat...

and here is the link:
    http://colonhealth.net/free_reports/h2oartcl.htm#
    Last edited by wonderwoman; January 28th, 2005 at 02:50 AM.

2. Google
    Thanks for the info wonderwoman

wow thats shocking...I thought I was doing good at 50 oz a day!

i have a personal problem with drinking that much water.... i have to pee ALL the time!!! does this go away after you get used to drinking that much? or is it just something you have to deal with?

Bottoms up everyone!!!!!!!!

Another good way to calculate how much water you should drink a day is this: Drink 1/2 your body weight in fluid ounces of water daily. So for me it's 73 oz. But....if you exercise you should drink more....for every 10 minutes of physical activity you should have an 8 oz. glass of water. I do this every day and if I don't I feel like crap. It completely flushes me out. I honestly used to hate drinking water and I forced myself to do it, because what is bad about water??? NOTHING! So now I'm addicted....it's my beverage of choice. And amomono ... the peeing problem should subside. Of course you go to the bathroom but I've found that I don't have to literally run to the bathroom after a while. Your body adjusts to it. In the beginning you will feel like you're a peeing machine but only because your body wants to flush all the bad stuff out as fast as it can. Drink up everyone!

what is a sticky thread??

This is an awesome post! All I drink is water! I don't know if even I can get my water intake up that high though. We'll see! lol

a sticky is one that will always be at the top of the particular forum. I ensures that anyone browsing this forum "Weight Loss Through Exercise" will see this great post.

does it have to be plain water, or will any liquid (calorie free) do the trick????

Thanks CDNBOY for the explaination .... I too am intrested in knowing what REDJESS has asked.

of course there are 2 sides to every story. you should always consult with your doctor first to help decide what amount of water is right for you. obviously, everything printed on the internet cant be true and i think we all know this.

as for me, water DID help me to lose the weight that i have lost so far. and contrary to the article sungod posted, i find it does curb my appetite. i have also noticed my skin is not as lumpy (cellulite, lol) in some areas. i think the article depicted water as a money making scam in some sentences. and as long as you dont overdo it, i feel the benefits of water far outweigh some of the negatives - if there are any.

So how much more if your exercising?

And

Does your body get used to drinking more water and you don't pee as much?

I don't really pay attention to how much water I'm drinking I just go by the rule that I drink enough so I'm never thirsty. I just can't imagine trying to drink so many ounces so I don't concern myself with them and it seems like I'm drinking something all the time. Like if I go for like ten minutes with out a drink my mouth becomes really dry and I immediately go find something to drink. It's nice to know that I'm actually doing something that is on the right track.