Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where did this 10,000 steps per day come from?

Where the Hell did this come from? I have heard this is the "new thing" and everyone has a step counter but it truely seems unreasonable.

You are not going to get in 10,000 by taking the elevator instead of the stars unless you are on the 80th floor.

My sister owns a landscaping company. She got one of those step counters and in an 8 hour day of LANDSCAPING she said she was getting less than 6000.

I run at 160-170 steps per minute for 45 minutes on an eliptical and I am only getting in just over 8000 steps (I know your average man on the street, office worker and housewife isn't doing that).

Where did this number come from and how is it justified (or is it just the lose-weight flavor of the month)?

2. Google
    if you think though that you are doing over 8000 steps on the eliptical... just think about all of the steps you take from waking up, going to the shower, moving around, walking to your car, moving back and forth at work/school, going to the bathroom... and they do believe it or not add up. So if your sister exercises for half an hour a day on the eliptical, plus her work, plus just normal moving around at home... she would have way over that amount...

of course, if you sit at a desk all day and aren't adding in a good half hour or so of exercise, you won't ever make it...

how far would 10000 steps be? just curious

it depends on how long your stride is lol, if your step is 3 feet, then it would be around 17 miles if I did that right. if your stride is 2 feet, then about 11 1/3 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by errtu140
    it depends on how long your stride is lol, if your step is 3 feet, then it would be around 17 miles if I did that right. if your stride is 2 feet, then about 11 1/3 miles.
    11-17 miles a DAY?

5280 ft/mile divided by 3 feet per step= 1760 steps/mile goes into 10,000 steps = 5.6 miles. No?

But how many folks do you know who are walkng 6 miles a day?

see I knew I did it wrong lol

Yep Red, your calculation was right lol

If you're walking 10,000 steps a day, and each step is 2 feet...
    10000steps X 2 feet = 20,000 feet
    20,000 feet / 5280 feet per mile = 3.78 miles

Oh and it wouldn't be very hard to get that much in. We just happen to take the small things for granted.

Smile

oh my gosh, ur reindeer is soooo adorable!!!
    Oh hehe but i had a point i usually can get around 10000 steps in just 1.5hours walking not including day steps

Makes Sense, Then

Funny thing...the poster above who said "two foot stride" was right on...remember that you only gain about two feet per step, because your back foot stays planted.

Anyway, about 5-6 miles a day of walking is about 500-600 calories for most people, isn't it? That equates to about a pound a week of fat loss, if the calories aren't made up for 'elsewhere'.

That might be the reasoning behind the 10K guideline.

K

Cool, I'm dusting off my pedometer and wearing it all day tomorrow. I know on some days I pretty much make it from bed to the couch (yikes), and other days I run around all day busy as a bee. I'm interested to see how many steps I take.

I just googled a few sites and read the average adult takes 2000 steps in a mile (thats 2.64 ft per step - measure heel to heel). My stride is about 2.8 feet when I'm walking briskly, 2.5 feet when I'm strolling. So that's about 5 miles a day. According to these sites, in normal daily activity people might cover 4000 to 6000 steps, or 2-3 miles. We'd need to come up with at least 4000 additional steps, or 2 miles, or 30 minutes extra walking per day at 4 mph. That's the Surgeon General's recommendation. If you don't get 4-6k from your normal activities, then you increase the time you walk/bike/run to get to the 10k. Makes sense to me too.

One site: http://www.walkinginfo.org/hf/featur...day/10kday.htm

Thanks, Patty!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing that, and the link.

K

I'm a pretty lazy person, though I do walk to and from work every day (which is about 1.5 miles round trip) I've been using a pedometer daily, and finding I'm averaging about 5 -6000 steps a day. I am determined to get that up to 10,000 steps a day... I think it is a pretty reasonable amount of steps...

Going to the grocery store alone, is good for a minimum of 1000 steps.

I am a postlady, so I do a lot of walking when I'm on delivery, but one day a week I am in the office. It really surprised me, but when I wore my pedometer on my office day, I actually managed to reach 10,000 steps just during my 8 hour work day! I am on my feet most of the day, but a lot of that is stood still sorting mail, and I double checked to make sure that shuffling my feet was not making the number change, and repeatedly it wasn't! It was walking up and down the office that did it. So I think that it is possible to reach your 10,000 steps just by being generally active - shopping, housework, taking the rubbish out, going up steps, using a photocopier further from your desk or whatever! And then any recreational walking could be on top of that.

that a very good point you just made. 10,000 steps at a slow pace is quite different from one at a high pace

My goal is going to take me a while at the pace i'm going. I have to up it. Geez

10,000 steps is not going to bring about significant weight loss for most people because the muscle change is going to be low and the increase in calorie expenditure is going to be low.

Michael