Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

eliptical, bike, or treadmill?

Hi everybody...I'm looking to lose weight and I'm not sure weather the eliptical, bike, or treadmill is good for me. Does one work better than the other, in terms of losing weight?
    Thanks!
    Alex

2. Google
    I like the elliptical the best, because there's less pressure on my knees, and I can adjust the resistance easily to accommodate my HIIT training. But in the end, it's whatever keeps you motivated. You can get a great workout on any of them.

Elyptical is my choice. I have a bad knee and it's easier on it. You can get a great cardio workout, plus work your upper body too. Bikes don't do anything for me. And treadmills kill my knee.

Ellptical offers low inpact while getting your whole body involved. But you should mix and match to keep from boredom.

I think they are all basically the same- I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of personal preference... in my case I favour the treadmill. I hate bikes (I don't even get on them at the gym) and I find that burning 100 cals on the eliptical is a lot harder for me than burning them on the treadmill... so although I do use both I can definately say I prefer the treadmill.

You can lose weight with any of them. Weight loss is a function of energy balance and all of these will burn energy. Use/buy what is going to make you happy and keep you going!

Personally I have a eliptical and LOVE it, it was a little hard for me to get used to it at first but I feel like it gives me the best workout. I would try them all out and then see which one you like the best and go with it!

Horses for courses. Some like bike, others like mill ... I like crosstrainer. However, I prefer running or even cycling outdoors to the gym.

Do whichever you enjoy the most or a combination of the three. Remember to up the resistance or incline for a better, more efficient workout.

When i see people at my gym using the exercise bikes, it doesn't seem like any of them even really break out a sweat! I think it is different if you are actually in a spin class (which i do sometimes) but just using those regular bikes..it doesn't seem to give a good workout. Personally i like the cross trainer the best, it is similar to the eliptical, only d ifference is you are on a ramp and you can adjust both the incline of the ramp and the resistance level (as on a eliptical).

spinning bikes

have you ever tried spinning bikes? i heard they're very ergonomic. they can also give better lower body exercise compared to treadmills.

Quote Originally Posted by shygemini View Post
    When i see people at my gym using the exercise bikes, it doesn't seem like any of them even really break out a sweat! I think it is different if you are actually in a spin class (which i do sometimes) but just using those regular bikes..it doesn't seem to give a good workout. Personally i like the cross trainer the best, it is similar to the eliptical, only d ifference is you are on a ramp and you can adjust both the incline of the ramp and the resistance level (as on a eliptical).
    That's funny- I observe the same thing! Espcially with recumbent bikes- I've yet to see anyone using one look like they're breaking a sweat. It's a good warm up tool but I think the cardio where you're exercising your upper body as well is a better workout (walking, eliptical with moving arm levers). Ever see the people on the Stairmaster who are furiously working their legs but just hanging onto the bars? I asked a trainer at the gym about that and they shrugged and said there's plenty of people at the gym who are near-obsessive about it but have no idea what they're doing. Including the folks using the weight machines and doing 15 reps at mach speed. So ineffective! Whatever you do, don't look around the gym and take a lesson from how other people are doing it. If you're not sure, see if you can buy one session with a trainer to help you develop proper exercise habits. They'll also be able to help you determine which cardio machines you want to use to meet your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by patsfan View Post
    That's funny- I observe the same thing! Espcially with recumbent bikes- I've yet to see anyone using one look like they're breaking a sweat. It's a good warm up tool but I think the cardio where you're exercising your upper body as well is a better workout (walking, eliptical with moving arm levers). Ever see the people on the Stairmaster who are furiously working their legs but just hanging onto the bars? I asked a trainer at the gym about that and they shrugged and said there's plenty of people at the gym who are near-obsessive about it but have no idea what they're doing. Including the folks using the weight machines and doing 15 reps at mach speed. So ineffective! Whatever you do, don't look around the gym and take a lesson from how other people are doing it. If you're not sure, see if you can buy one session with a trainer to help you develop proper exercise habits. They'll also be able to help you determine which cardio machines you want to use to meet your goals.

I have to stick up for my Recumbent bike! I used it every night for 35-55mins I broke out in a sweat every time! (Until it needed new ball bearings so I'm stuck doing tae bo for a few more days) It has a calorie, timer,distance and a heart rate on it its great!

It depends on what you like, my bike was great for me! So I think things work for people who want them to work!

I think some people use the bike like a regular bike---one pace. But to really break a sweat on the bike you really need to vary the levels, very similar to this HIIT workout for treadmills.

For me personally, it varies with the day. Somedays I'm just like 'wahoo go elliptical!' other days I like 'wahoo, treadmill!'

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHendrix View Post
    I have to stick up for my Recumbent bike! I used it every night for 35-55mins I broke out in a sweat every time! (Until it needed new ball bearings so I'm stuck doing tae bo for a few more days) It has a calorie, timer,distance and a heart rate on it its great!

It depends on what you like, my bike was great for me! So I think things work for people who want them to work!
    Oh i'm sure it can work if you try hard enough ...just from what i observed compared to people on other machines, no one sweats on the bike! I tried the upright bike a little while ago and i didn't like it..very uncomfortable and i spent most of the time shifting rather then working out. It is all a personal preference, whatever works the best for you and what you enjoy is the best choice...of course it is good to switch up your cardio machines once in awhile so your body doesn't get used to what you are doing.