1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5:2 (The fast diet.) Is anyone else following this?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Programs' started by cate, Apr 6, 2016.

1. cate

cate Sticks around

I have been following 5:2 for 7 months (loosely) & wondered if anyone else in here does. I started it after watching a doco by Michael Mosely & when I was struggling to re-motivate myself to lose 5kg.
    It isn't easy as the "fast days" are tough. Women eat no more than 500 cals on fast days & you eat to your TDEE on the other 5.
    I have lost a steady kilo per month since starting & have decided to drop a further 5kg, to get back down to my lowest adult weight.
    I would be interested to hear from anyone else doing it.

lamlagiau likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BantingBuzz

BantingBuzz New Member

This is an old thread, but I am a firm believer in fasting. I do a 16:8 - fast 16 hours and eat within an 8-hour window. I am very happy with the results and it really helps with T2D. My mental clarity has improved quite a lot too, but that may also be the increase of my water intake. haha!

Kim J and cate like this.
  4. cate

cate Sticks around

I'm glad to hear that! I'm now convinced of the benefits, after getting really good cholesterol results today.

BantingBuzz likes this.
  5. marlene_s

marlene_s New Member

im gonna try this 16:8 thing, any advices? how much did u loose during the time on 16:8?

6. alia.danielle

alia.danielle New Member

I tried 16:8 and it was pure hell for me. I basically delayed eating until noon, but I would get so obsessive about food until I could eat that I would end up overeating... fail. I find EOD/alternate day fasting much more helpful for me. I've lost 10 pounds in a months time and am still losing.

Cate: You also mentioned that on 5:2,you are supposed to eat 500 calories on fast days. For me personally, this is where I go wrong. Having that little taste of food makes me go off the rails, so I'd rather just restrict to nothing at all on fast days then pretend nothing ever happened on my feed days. Again, that's just me personally. At most, I'll have one or two berries if I absolutely HAVE to put something in my mouth.

7. cate

cate Sticks around

Alia: I haven't done 5:2 for a while & am trying to psyche myself up to give it another try. I don't find it easy either. I used to not have anything on FD until about 2 pm when I just ate some berries. Then I had a "normal" dinner at night- lean meat & vegetables, followed by a little yoghurt & fruit if I had any calories left. I find it really hard now but didn't when I did it every week for about 6 months. It does help that it's only 2 days a week & even if you only do one, it's still beneficial.......she says........ still finding it hard to do even 1!

8. NadiaE

NadiaE New Member

I am about to start 16/8, how long did it take you guys to see good results?

9. cate

cate Sticks around

I haven't got back into it doing 5:2 Nadia, but when I did, it was a gradual thing, which is not bad. A friend does 16/8 & she is doing well, but only had a few kilos to lose. I think 5:2 or 16/8 would be a good long-term way of losing weight, but I just found it too hard to do again. If you lived on your own that would be different.

10. Michael_J

Michael_J New Member

I think that a more healthy meal plan is more effective than fasting. I have nothing against it, I tried 16/8 and it worked. Just think more about food composition and it will pay off.

11. NadiaE

NadiaE New Member

Hi, I finally decided to go with pure water fasting. And now I am already on Day 4 and keep going :)