1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First day here..

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Diary' started by Nottoolate, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Nottoolate

Nottoolate New Member

I signed up today here although I've been lurking about a month. My hope in starting a diary is to achieve more optimum health, lose weight, and feel more positive on a daily basis.
    I'm male, age 63, 5'10", 177 lbs. My goal weight is 155 lbs, and I am hoping to lose 22 lbs by April 1, 2018. I've lost 12 lbs since Oct, 2017 and have stalled somewhat. I welcome any advice, thoughts, as I give this a go. I truly admire what many of you have done and are doing.

Just a little bit my current situation....I'm doing pretty well avoiding sugars/starches...although I generally have a glass of red wine at dinner (sometimes 2). Diet is mostly whole vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, fruit, some cheese, trying to avoid grains, bread, processed foods.

I've been out of shape but am now consistently walking about 2 and a half miles a day. I appreciate being here, and thanks in advance for any guidance!

Jenniquest likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

Keep doing what you've been doing is my thought; maybe just steadily increase your exercise? Is April 1st an arbitrary target or is there a special event you're seeking to reach your goal weight for?

4. Hale

Hale New Member

I'm a bit of a newbie here myself but welcome aboard. I'll be 63 in under 6 months and am a smidge taller than you, provided I measure in the morning. It's always great to do something to improve yourself and I see that your goal is well within reasonable BMI guidelines. I'm a bit on the stocky side but I have been down to 200 lbs not too far in the past. Most people who I see on a semi-annual to annual basis who saw me at that weight ask if I am sick or had a major recent illness. I think they'd be planning my funeral if I ever got to your 177 nevermind 155.

I'm not saying your goal is wrong. Your target BMI is historically highly appropriate. I do think you need to consider whether your body morphology has a different optimum weight.

If your body is fighting to maintain a weight, the current combination of food and activity isn't getting it done.

I would concentrate on finding quality nutrient dense foods. You don't need as much if its more nutritious per calorie and meets your body's requirements. I would encourage you to start some modestly aerobic activity, something that makes you breath a bit harder than your walks. Doing some balanced resistance exercise for your muscles will gradually shift your body composition and metabolism allowing you to eat more and address your nutrition requirements more comprehensively. A bit more muscle will also likely improve your testosterone levels which can help with energy and strength. Getting enough sleep and water is also crucial to gaining physical well being.

You've made a great start. You would be very wise not to overdo anything including cutting back on food or ramping up activity. Any positive change you make should shift your body's weight equilibrium in your desired direction.

5. Jenniquest

Jenniquest Active Member

Agree with Hale on the resistance training - too many benefits to list!

Welcome aboard. You'll find a diverse and supportive group of people here!

6. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

Another welcome to the forum! I think your current diet sounds healthy and long-term-doable. Cutting out the wine at dinner would save you around 85 calories for a small glass plus more efficient use of whatever fat you have with dinner because your liver won´t be too busy metabolizing alcohol to deal with the fat. If that glass is a great pleasure to you and you want to keep enjoying it you might consider counting calories for a week or two to see if you aren´t just eating more than you think. As your weight goes down, your body´s caloric needs go down as well, after all. You could also up your exercise or exercise intensity, of course, and it would definitely help you lose more weight but it has to be something you´re willing to do for the rest of your life if you want to keep the weight off after losing it. I´m all for people sticking with exercise, especially when they´re getting older (I´m a physical therapist) but I also know that not everyone will. You know yourself and know what would be realistic.

7. Nottoolate

Nottoolate New Member

Thanks Stan, Hale, jenniquest, La Maria! Stan, you're right about increasing the exercise. I need to incorporate some cardio and weights. So far, the weight I've lost has mostly about what I've avoided eating...in fact my daily calorie intake has probably been too low. By joining here, and trying to have a consistent program and some accountability, I'm hoping to break through that. The reason my goal date is April 1 is simply because I think it might be doable. I know as you approach your goal date it can get more difficult, but I won't be terribly disappointed if I don't quite get to my weight by then. At least I will have been going in the right direction.

Hale, thanks for the encouragement. I set my goal weight to 155 because its in the normal range...I have a smaller frame and I remember (from long ago) that was the weight where I felt my best. I was a very skinny kid and weighed about 135-140 when I graduated college.

jenniquest, thanks! Yes, some resistance training and more cardio is going to be a must. I've failed at many "diets" and joining gyms, etc. This time I'm trying to develop permanent habits that I can enjoy. I have a tendency to get obsessive and overdo things when I start, and then burn out later. My plan is to incorporate things that I really enjoy that are also healthy and get me to my goals....so for right now I want to keep the habit of walking 3 miles every day and then build up to a regular program of more cardio and some resistance on a consistent basis.

La Maria, you're right about how important it is with exercise when you get older....I know too many people my age that have given that up and their health shows it. As for the red wine.....I really enjoy it...I'm not a big drinker ...just a glass at dinner....so that may be the last thing to go! I'll try to compensate in other ways for now!

I will start posting regularly on my diet and progress. Thank you all. Having your feedback is encouraging!

8. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

I like the sound of that. You can do this!

9. cate

cate Senior

A belated welcome to the forum Nottoolate. It sounds like you have a well-balanced plan to get your weight to where you want it to be. Cutting out the wine for a day or 2 a week will help with quicker weight-loss (says she who normally has 2 glasses of wine every night).

10. Nottoolate

Nottoolate New Member

Cate, thanks for the welcome! You're right about the wine. Going to a party tonight and will substitute club soda. One of the reasons I'm here is that I need accountability on what I'm doing. One of the things I focused on in the fall was trying to get a better self-understanding of not only my patterns of behavior, but also to start being mindful of how I felt the next day depending on what I ate/drank the previous day (was I feeling sluggish, lethargic, moody, etc.) A lot of my desire in doing this is I want to feel as good as possible, and I really learned how my diet/behavior effects me. So, getting more self-awareness (which I often lack) has been a real plus!

So, here are my challenges: 1) Sugar and starchy, refined foods. I love them, but they do not love me. Within 12 hours or so, I can feel it. (lethargy, sleepiness, moody). 2) food cravings before I go to bed at night...generally wanting something sweet. If I indulge, even with something that is sweet but isn't a large amount, it seems to be a huge trigger that just makes me want more. 3) more rigorous exercise...my problem in the past is that gyms/workouts that I start I become obsessed with, go overboard and burn out.

So this time I want it to last. I want to enjoy what I do and what my results will be...BUT I want it to be part of my everyday life going forward. Hope that makes sense. I love the walks (and so does my dog) and they benefit both of us. I want to build the cardio/weights slowly, and not get addicted to obsessive workouts. While I know that some people feel that weighing in daily and counting calories can be counter-productive, its been positive for me the last 3 months or so. So, as I start this diary I'll be posting my weight, calories consumed, and exercise on a regular basis. And THEN, I expect you all to be ruthless with me. I need it! Thanks!

11. cate

cate Senior

I love all of your post above & agree with it all. Diaries are a great place to "think aloud," build self-awareness & be accountable.
    I have been resisting & fighting the almost certain knowledge that I am at least mentally dependant on that wine at the end of the day for years now. After only 5 days without any, I admit that I am feeling MUCH more clear-headed & healthy. I love wine. It's a habit & habits can be broken, but I have a battle ahead of me to form new ones. We can do this!

LaMaria likes this.
  12. Nottoolate

Nottoolate New Member

Its been a few days since I checked in..(family travel and work) so I haven't taken time to start my daily postings. I promise, I'm logging my stuff, so I'll start posting (my results starting today) tomorrow morning. I mentioned earlier about how important getting more awareness means to me. Some of your welcoming comments have really made me think. My goal is a 22 pound loss, and I've been in a bit of a stall. Reason? Not enough exercise, probably too FEW calories...so I've got to get the metabolism ramped up. I want you all to know how important your feedback is to me. I'll give you a great recent example. I have never been a big drinker...perhaps because growing up I've seen the results of alcoholism in family members.

I mentioned I have a glass of red wine (just one) at dinner. I never worried about it because I don't ever have the desire to drink more than that. I do enjoy that glass of wine.

Cate (thank you, Cate) suggested I don't drink the wine, or at least cut back to maybe just a few days a week. I replied that it may be the last thing, because I like it. Later mentioned to her that I was going to a party, and have a glass of club soda instead. ( I did ). Seems minor, but it got me to thinking. Why do I always have a glass of wine at dinner? Because I like it, not because I need it. Hell, I like cookies too, but I go out of my way to try and avoid them. I'm not committing to never having a glass of wine again. But just thinking about it makes a huge difference. A glass of wine is not evil. Really, no food is. The issue is my relationship with it. I will always like wine. But it doesn't have to be a daily ritual. I hope you all understand what I'm saying. I'm tipping my glass (of unsweetened ice tea to you, Cate! Cheers!

13. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

Cheers to that. With a glass of rather excellent tap water, in my case.

14. cate

cate Senior

I understand totally as I am trying to break myself out of my daily ritual of 1 or 2 glasses of wine. I'm enjoying the break & I realise that I do have a mental dependence on the habit. I love wine too. It's good sometimes just to take stock. :beerchug: with herbal tea :)