1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many calories should I eat?

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by KaraCooks, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Toddless

Toddless Active Member

Here's a riddle for those calorie counters out there.

-Person A eats in a 500 calorie defecit every day for a week. At the end of the week, and without water loss, he has lost 1 pound.
    -Person B eats in a 500 calorie defecit every day for a week. At the end of the week, and without water loss, he has lost 2 pounds.

Are both of these situations possible?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anzeige

4. Jeanette401

Jeanette401 Senior

If by deficit you really mean 'estimated deficit', then yes, of course. Especially since humans are lousy estimators.

If deficit means actual calories consumed minus actual calories expended, then no.

I don't know of anyone here who thinks that exercise should be discouraged, but there are plenty of studies that indicate for most people the number of calories they consume has the greatest impact on their weight loss (or lack thereof). Too many people have a tendency to think "Oh, I went to the gym today so I can have some cheesecake with dinner!" with no real idea of how many calories they burned at the gym or how many calories they're eating.

5. starsevenrock

starsevenrock New Member

The number of calories the body consumes in a day is different for each person. You may notice on the nutritional labeling of foods you buy that the "percentage of daily values" based on a 2000 calorie diet - 2,000 calories is the approximate average of what people eat in a day.

6. Jay Farrant

Jay Farrant Active Member

I agree You cant go of a chart. Every person is different .

And its not about calories its about the food you put into your mouth. that counts . Eating the right stuff at the right time .

7. Sarin

Sarin Active Member

I have a question. My BMR is around 1400 calories. (I am 5'3" - 125-130 lbs - and 19 years old.)

However, I cannor figure out if I should multiply that by 1.2 or 1.375. What would you do? I don't sit around all day, however, I don't exercise.

I work an average of 8 hours a day, every day. I work at a sub shop so for most (I'd say 7 hours) of the day I am on my feet, but staying in one spot usually... on my laptop. I am active at the beginning of the day prepping, then after that.. I really only move when a customer comes in and if I have to go to the bathroom! After work, I usually just sit and watch TV at home.. Sometimes doing household work.

Would you do 1.2 or 1.375 if you were me? :)

Right now I eat about 1250-1400 calories a day and am maintaining my weight. Which according to my BMR.. I should still be losing. So I'd like to up my calories and still maintain.. But I am starting to think it's not possible. Very confusing.

Thanks.

8. Jeanette401

Jeanette401 Senior

I'd definitely use the higher end of the scale. Standing burns a lot more calories than sitting - and non exercise activity (like standing and moving around) generally burns more calories than working out. Unless you're really really sedentary ;)

So I'd do 1.375 to start!

9. joshuawilson

joshuawilson New Member

nice info you have given.. thanks..

10. Smokinhotbody

Smokinhotbody New Member

Wow thanks for the information. Very helpful[​IMG]

11. aleciabarnes

aleciabarnes New Member

I have to agree with regard to the consensus that one size does not fit all. Even blood type can make a difference in the equation. Great thread.

12. mrxian

mrxian Active Member

Let's see if I do this right.
    66 + (13.7 x 137) + (5 x 197) - (6.8 x 34)
    Which would work out to 66+1876.9+985-231,2=3159.1
    Now, I'm not very active during most of the day, but I do exercise five times per week, so I'll go with lightly active, which is a 1.375 multiplier to 4343.8.
    70% of that would be 3040.6

I think 3040 kcal is a lot even for someone as big and tall as I am. (About six foot six, 302lbs.)
    Did I do something wrong?

13. PLBFitness

PLBFitness Moderator

The last value should be subtracted, not added... don't worry, I did the same thing the first time I checked your numbers :)

So you should get 2696.7, then do your multiplier (1.375) to get roughly 3708.

70% of that should be 2595.6, so approximately 2600 calories per day.

14. sallyjoseph

sallyjoseph New Member

How much calorie you eat its depends on your health, body and weight. For getting calorie it is not necessary to consume so much food. You can calculate your calories rate from BMR calculator.

15. nishasharma1490

nishasharma1490 New Member

very nice gud job really..

16. jeetchowhan

jeetchowhan New Member

Intake of calories

Calorie intake depends on BMR of the body. Every Body has a different BMR index. BMR is calculated on the basis of height and weight of an individual. It is very vital concern that the metabollic rate also makes it essential to calculate the calories needed to be consumed by an individual.

17. mikespitzer

mikespitzer New Member

I must say, over the years I have come to dismiss all the theoretical formulas for calculating calories and chosen a more straightforward science based way of determining macronutrients.

First, estimate your target lean bodyweight.
    (note- this will of course get tweaked as you near it and body composition changes).

Now feed the body you WANT, not the body you have now.
    Next -- pretty much stop wasting time on scales and use the MIRROR
    Scales do nothing but give you a "dumb" number that says nothing of body composition.

So let us assume, you now weigh 190 but estimate you would be most fit at 150 lbs.

Your daily protein intake should then be 140-150 grams
    Your fats will be 25-30% of this (so 40-50 grams max)
    These protein and fat levels will be constants
    It it the CARBS you will modify to control your weight loss/gain goals.

As a STARTING point if you have no clue where you should be, start with Carbs = Protein X 1.5
    In this case Carbs = 225 grams

Needless to say these carbs should be mostly complex, low-glycemic and not simple sugars, starches, etc...
    I just worked with a lady that was so perplexed she could not lose weight because she felt she was eating healhy -- BUT ... her daily diet was all yogurt, fruits, smoothies, etc..
    She was living on simple sugars .... no wonder !

You then modify those carbs daily till you get going in the direction you want to be
    If that means substantial weight loss, then the Net Carbs per meal should be kept under 10 (5 is better).

Add 3 days per week of resisatance training and cardio and that is all you need to reach about any goal you have.

MICHAEL SPITZER - AUTHOR - FITNESS AT 40,50,60 AND BEYOND

18. unes999

unes999 New Member

yes, the right think is Find out what your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and in second you must add in the calories you burn through activity

19. angela8915

angela8915 New Member

Really good info on the site, Thanks for guide!

20. Elijah

Elijah New Member

This is a very standard and basic way of calculating your calories. It is good as a base to start with, although in my opinion it lacks of factors as what kind of metabolism each person has.
    Not everybody is the same and not everybody will respond equally to the same calories.

21. JRFuerst

JRFuerst New Member

I need some help with this calculation, because I don't think I am doing it right.

66 + (13.7 x weight in kilos) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age in years)

I am male.
    Weight in kilos= I weigh 291. My weight in kilos converted is 995.369 kilos
    Height in cm=I am 73 inches tall. Converted into cm that is 185.42

So, my formula would be:

66 + (13.7 X 995.369) + (5 x 185.42) - (6.8 x 34) =
    66 + (13636.5553) + (927.1) - (231.2)= 14,398.

Yeah....clearly I'm doing something wrong. Can someone help me with this? I never was great at math!

22. JRFuerst

JRFuerst New Member

Nevermind...I saw my mistake. Not sure how I got 995.369 kilos! Sheesh, 14,000+ BMR!

66 + (13.7 x 132.27) + (5 x 185.42) - (6.8 x 34)=
    66 + (1812.09) + (927.10) - (231.2) = 2573.99

I am moderately active, so 2573.99 x 1.55 = 3989

That seems absurdly too high and impossible to eat!

But I want to lose fat so 3989 x .7 = 2792. That seems more reasonable. Is this post accurate math? Forget about my first one. Not sure what I was thinking with the kilo thing.

23. Anzeige