1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need weight loss advice

Discussion in 'Local Community Weight loss' started by Jason Rogers, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Jason Rogers

Jason Rogers New Member

Im looking to lose weight. I weight 300+ pounds and my only goal right now is to lose weight, I am 16 years old and i started exercising this week and have been in marching band for 4 months now. I need weight loss advice. I am striving to push my self to being fit in the long term goal of my life.
    I currently have started a work out routine with basic cardio. But i dont know any arm exercises without equipment because my family has no transportation for me to go to the gym and i cannot lift my weight right now for a push up. I cannot track my weight either because my family doesnt have a scale.

Workout routine, Week 1-2

Strectches

Jumping Jacks 3 sets of 20
    Squats 3 sets of 15
    Mountain Climbers 3 sets of 10
    Sit ups 3 sets of 7
    Arm circles complete set 50
    Butterfly kicks 3 sets of 10
    Calf Raises complete set 30
    Push Up position, Long as possible.
    Work out routine 3-5
    Jumping Jacks 3 sets of 25
    Squats 3 sets of 15
    Mountain climbers 3 sets of 13
    Sit-ups 3 sets of 10
    Arm circles Complete set 50
    Calf Raises Complete set 35
    Butterfly kicks 3 sets of 13
    Push up position long as possible

This is my current one and i plan to gradually work on it as time increases, i plan to do this 4 times a week and make it consistent and make it harder as time passes, As of right now im only on week one but this is what i have planned ahead of time

lacyjones likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. allcdnboy

allcdnboy Administrator Staff Member

You are in a perfect position. Scales are misleading, so that's great that they don't have one.

You definitely don't need a gym to get in shape. There are 100s of exercises that can be done at home and it sounds like you have a pretty intense workout going. It doesn't need to be that intense, but if you can maintain that and keep making it harder, then good on ya.

The main exercises that I would focus on:
    - squats
    - push ups
    - deadlift (this one you need some kind of weighted bar - might not be able to accomplish at home)

Other exercises that are great:
    - planks ("push up position long as possible")
    - lunges
    - burpees (replace your jumping jacks with this)

Don't do situps unless you are also doing back exercises. Every exercise needs a counter exercises to maintain balance. Also, of all the muscle groups that you should be working on, abs is the biggest waste of time. Right now, you want to work on losing weight, which means working your major muscle groups. Abs is a very minor one. And, if you think working abs will help with the belly weight, that is a myth. You can't spot reduce. You need to simply burn calories, so cardio and large muscle groups are your main targets right now.

4. Jason Rogers

Jason Rogers New Member

Well i cant do pushups yet to lift my own weight soo i was doing the push up position to try to compensate for it. by any chance do you know when i can start doing sit-ups because i also wanna replace body fat with muscle mass. i know its a long ways from now but thats my long term goal

5. allcdnboy

You can do pushups ... just start on your knees. Work your way up to doing 10-15 from your knees. Once you can do that, you should be able to progress to doing full ones.

You aren't getting any muscle mass from doing sit ups. They are very tiny muscles. The only people I know that do sit ups are women (not sure why) and athletes. For the average joe, there isn't a lot of gain from doing them until the rest of your body is in great shape.

6. Jason Rogers

Jason Rogers New Member

Thank you, ill try that. and i shouldnt do sit-up untill i lose weight? im assuming then theyre to tone to get a six pack when youre skinny.

7. Jason Rogers

Jason Rogers New Member

I also forgot to ask, i know dieting is a part of losing weight, how many hours do you think the average person should wait between meals.
    Im assuming 5-6 hours

8. allcdnboy

sit ups just don't really hold much benefit for overall weight loss. If you want to do them and have the time, then great, but it shouldn't be a major focus.

it doesn't actually matter how many hours you weight. It's total calories in VS total calories out. You can eat 5-6 meals / day or eat 3, or 2, it doesn't really matter.

9. lacyjones

lacyjones New Member

Thanks for good tips, Every time I actually start seeing progress on a diet or with an exercise routine I feel like it has the opposite effect on me. Instead of being like, oh yay this is working lets keep going! I fall back into my old habits. Why do I always do this? Anyone else have any experience in this area? I'm thinking maybe I'm too restrictive in the first phase so when I start to see results I start to reward myself with all of the things I gave up (which I know isn't the way to do it). How do I stop this cycle.