1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

June is Cancer in the Sun Month (A PSA)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by maleficent, Jun 1, 2007.

1. maleficent

maleficent How about a nice cup of...

June is Cancer in the Sun month - consider this a brief Public Service Announcement to wear your sunscreen and protect your skin.

June is Cancer in the Sun Month
    Protection from sun exposure is important all year round, not just during the summer or at the beach. Any time the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays are able to reach the earth, you need to protect yourself from excessive sun exposure. UV rays can cause skin damage during any season or temperature. Relatively speaking, the hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. are the most hazardous for UV exposure in the continental United States. UV radiation is the greatest during the late spring and early summer in North America. UV rays reach you on cloudy and hazy days, as well as on bright and sunny days. UV rays will also reflect off any surface like water, cement, sand, and snow.

There are three types of UV rays: ultraviolet A (UVA), ultraviolet B (UVB), and ultraviolet C (UVC). UVA is the most abundant source of solar radiation at the earth's surface and penetrates beyond the top layer of human skin. Scientists believe that UVA radiation can cause damage to connective tissue and increase a person's risk for developing skin cancer. UVB rays are less abundant at the earth's surface than UVA because a significant portion of UVB rays is absorbed by the ozone layer. UVB rays penetrate less deeply into the skin than do UVA rays, but also can be damaging. UVC radiation is extremely hazardous to skin, but it is completely absorbed by the stratospheric ozone layer and does not reach the surface of the earth. UV exposure appears to be the most important environmental factor in the development of skin cancer and a primary factor in the development of lip cancer. Although getting some sun exposure can yield a few positive benefits, excessive and unprotected exposure to the sun can result in premature aging and undesirable changes in skin texture. Such exposure has been associated with various types of skin cancer, including melanoma, one of the most serious and deadly forms. UV rays also have been found to be associated with various eye conditions, such as cataracts.

To counter these threats, you can wear protective clothing, such as a wide-brimmed hat, long-sleeved shirt, and long pants. For eye protection, wear wraparound sunglasses that provide 100 percent UV ray protection. And always wear a broad-spectrum (protection against both UVA and UVB rays) sunscreen and lip-screen with at least SPF 15. Remember to reapply as indicated by the manufacturer's directions.
    Be Sun Smart This Summer

Sun safety is not just for vacation. Are you sun-safe every day?
    Take the American Cancer Society's 9-question quiz and find out.

1. I can't get skin cancer, because my routine (work, drive to work, indoor
    hobbies, and vacations) doesn't include any outdoor activities.
    True or False

2. My husband should use sunscreen at football games, even though he only goes (and gets a burn!) once or twice a year.
    True or False

3. If I'm wearing sunscreen, I can stay in the sun as long as I want.
    True or False

4. A sunscreen labeled SPF 30 blocks twice as much UV radiation as one labeled SPF 15.
    True or False

5. It's safe to let my children stay in the pool all day if they slip on a T-shirt after a couple hours and reapply sunscreen to their faces, arms, and legs.
    True or False

6. How often do you need to reapply water-resistant sunscreen?
    a. Every 2 hours or sooner
    b. After sweating or swimming
    c. After you towel dry
    d. All of the above

7. Getting a "base tan" at an indoor tanning salon is as good way to prevent sunburn when I go to the beach later this summer.
    True or False

8. What are the two most common (and painful!) sunscreen mistakes?
    a. Choosing an SPF below 15 & missing spots
    b. Using too little & waiting too long to reapply

9. Now put it all together.You applied sunscreen at 12:00 noon for an afternoon of reading beside the pool. At 2:00 p.m., which one of the following actions would best protect your skin?
    a. Slip on a long cotton sundress
    b. Move to the shade
    c. Reapply sunscreen

Sun Safety Quiz – from ACS.org Answers:
    1. False 2.True 3. False 4. False 5. False 6. All of the Above 7. False 8. B 9. B.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007