1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lift, Train, Fitness

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Diary' started by Trusylver, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Trusylver

Trusylver Super Moderator

Long night last night and yesterday, vomiting and nausea.

catching up with a friend today and hopefully some sleep this afternoon.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

Ah yes, I knew about the lifting but I couldn't remember what ball game he plays.

4. Trusylver

yesterday felt like my shift was going on forever but at least there were no problems to deal with. Finally told my mother today that I am preggo, was reluctant to say anything because I don't like her to worry about me while she is struggling with her cancer an treatment. The new type of chemo she is on leaves massive painful blisters all over her face and body, she is a fighter and had out lasted all expectations and was preparing for her last couple of months until this new type of chemo seems to be having an effect.

5. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

Chemo sounds nasty enough without getting blisters but I'm glad to hear it's working. She must have been over the moon to hear the news!

6. Trusylver

It has been a very bad day, only on the forum long enough to report in, now back to bed.

7. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

Good night then, I hope tomorrow will be better.

8. Trusylver

endless sickness is doing my head in, sooooo exhausted. Cannot concentrate on anything.

Went to the bank with hubby today, looking to extend our mortgage to reno the spare room in preparation.

9. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

Good luck with bank stuff. Sorry you´re still feeling so horrible!

10. Trusylver

not feeling as bad today, checkup went smoothly but sooo tired I can't concentrate on anything I want to do.

A trivia Question for anybody reading my diary: Which muscle in the human body exerts to most force ?

The muscle that can exert the most force is the soleus, which is one of 2 primary muscles of the calf. Source: Gray's Anatomy

11. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

:) I'd have gone with jaw muscles, with calves second. You live and learn! Glad to hear of the smooth checkup :)

12. M2M

M2M Senior

I'd say the jaw muscles.
    I just read up and see that you're pregnant! Congratulations and I hope the sickness passes soon!

13. Trusylver

If you were to look at the force of the muscle in relation to the size of the muscle it would be the jaw however as the size of the muscle is not part of the consideration it is the Soleus. The Soleus is the smaller of the two muscles in the calf, not the larger Gastrocnemius which is the large chunky bit of the calf.

Soleus.jpg

So far so good this morning, feeling ok, it is a public holiday today for the local show so hubby and son are not at work. Heavy rain also means that there may be no sports medicine work for me tomorrow if the games get called of due to over wet fields.

ok, correction mid post, usual vomiting start for the day, hopefully it will be just the once, when it is 3-4 times a day it get to me lol

14. Trusylver

Weight training as a form of Cardio

As a form of fitness training, strength training has many uses, one of them being the side benefit of cardiovascular fitness. Most people are so focused on the muscle building effect of strength training that they miss the other benefits.

Simply, anything that provides sufficient stimulus to the cardiovascular system and results in adaptations is cardio training. If load is sufficient those muscles involved in a compound require a significant amount of fuel in order to keep contracting and applying force. This fuel is supplied through all three energy pathways, being ATP/creatine phosphate anaerobic, the anaerobic lactate system and the aerobic energy system.

Resistance exercise is seldom used with the expressed purpose of enhancing cardiovascular function, but it does result in acute and chronic cardiovascular changes.

A recent study showed that cardiac output increased during mild dynamic exercise involving lifting and extending the leg (Elstad et al., 2009).
    Throughout the leg exercise, heart rate was recorded and stroke volume was measured using Doppler ultrasound. In this study, heart rate increased by approximately 40%, and stroke volume decreased by about 5% . Thus, cardiac output increased by about 35%. Therefore, in this study, mild dynamic exercise with a light resistance caused a small increase in cardiac output resulting from a small decrease in stroke volume that was more than offset by the increase in heart rate.

Cardiac output responses to more intense resistance training have been reported by Lentini and colleagues (1993), who had healthy male subjects perform a double leg press to failure at 95% of their maximum dynamic strength. Stroke volume was determined using echocardiography and was reported preexercise, at the end of the lift phase, during the “lockout,” and during the lowering phase of the lift. Cardiac output increased significantly during the lifting phase and increased further during the lockout phase.

Revised guidelines from the American Heart Association suggest that resistance training may indeed be beneficial for those with known cardiovascular disease if contemporary prescriptive guidelines are employed with close supervision (Thompson et al., 2007). In a statement published by the American Heart Association (Braith and Stewart, 2006) regarding the use of resistance exercise in those with and without cardiovascular disease, the authors detail what is currently known about the safety of resistance exercise. They acknowledge that “excessive” blood pressure elevations have been documented with high-intensity resistance exercise (80-100% of 1RM performed to exhaustion), but note that such elevations are generally not a concern with low- to moderate-intensity resistance training performed with correct breathing technique. Furthermore, there is indirect evidence that resistance exercise results in a more favourable balance in myocardial oxygen supply and demand than aerobic exercise because of the lower heart rate and higher myocardial (diastolic) perfusion pressure (Braith and Stewart, 2006).

Further reading: Advanced Cardiovascular Exercise Physiology, by Denise L. Smith, PhD, and Bo Fernhall, PhD

M2M and LaMaria like this.
  15. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

I used to wear my HR band during any kind of exercise in my WW days and my anecdotal evidence aligns with what the experts have found. I sincerely hope that some day the benefits of weight training will keep people working out as they age. That could mean a massive improvement in quality of life further down the road.

16. M2M

M2M Senior

Oh I so don't miss the early days of pregnancy! Have you found anything that settles it for you?

17. Trusylver

Nope, none of the traditional ways of reducing nausea have worked and anti nausea meds from doc have been partially successful. I was and am expecting this to last till term as I was sick all the way through for my three boys, and my mother was also sick all the way through with myself and my brother.

I found out earlier in the week that I am not the first older mum in the family, my great grandmother fell pregnant with her 4th when she was 50.

there is no history of infertility problems in the family nor birth defects and my Doc is confident my body will handle anything that gets thrown at it because of my high fitness levels and perfect health. Being in perfect health is why my Doc believes I have had no problems falling pregnant despite my age as for most ladies my age the chance of naturally falling pregnant is 1-2 %

I think the no exercise order from my doc is related to how likely I am to over do things when I train, he knows how I train and what I lift, I coach his son lol

Work at football today may be a little challenging, Recent weeks I have been working with the younger teams so I can take it a little easy, however this week I am on duty for the mens games which can get violent and I am the only one who can work today who is qualified enough to handle these games.

18. Trusylver

It is going to be a very long difficult day for myself and many others, A friend from football has just died after a failed double lung transplant. All games will observe a minutes silence and all teams from all clubs will be wearing black arm bands. I hope the men's teams can keep it together and not fight today.

Rebel lee likes this.
  19. LaMaria

LaMaria Senior

I´m sorry to hear about your friend, Tru. Transplants are always a big thing but we all sort of, kind of, assume and hope all will go well when it´s someone we know :(

20. M2M

M2M Senior

So sorry to hear about your friend Tru

21. Rebel lee

Rebel lee Well-Known Member

Anytime you lose someone suddenly it's hard. Just remember your not alone.... Most of us have been through it and its never easy.