1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misconceptions

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Through Exercise' started by Steve, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Jericho

Jericho Senior

...what are you talking about?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. xGOx

xGOx New Member

Good but i have a question if i want 2 lose weight should i lift heavy or light weights ?

4. Steve

Steve Member Staff Member

I'd need to know more about you to answer that question satisfactorily. How much weight do you have to lose?

5. Garie4Wellness

Garie4Wellness New Member

I think I also read some blog in the internet with almost the same say about this misconceptions. I actually thought before when you stop lifting weights it makes you fat. I heard that with exercising too, when you stop it, it will only result in gaining weight than loosing it. Is this true?

6. ainiclive

ainiclive New Member

wow you saved me from doing many things in wrong manner. I love squats and I use to do that in a slow and steady manner. I never go for tough exercises that after leaving them I will be back :)

7. TheMufasa

TheMufasa New Member

please sticky...

oh wait

8. mrskurt

mrskurt New Member

Great thread!
    I'm so confused about exercises every where that I read tells me something different. I find most of the responses here very logical, however why would lifting and cardio exercises when being combined together be considered counterproductive if you're tryingto build lean muscle and lose weight at same time? Isn't that what convicted prisoners do? Their workouts are very extreme cardio combined with extreme lifting, and their bodies are awesome. I'm not suggesting anyone go to prison or join a navey seal military workout but it does seem to work for them.

9. angela8915

angela8915 New Member

Excellent info here, I am currently doing some research and found exactly what I was looking for.

10. wellnesswarrior

wellnesswarrior New Member

Great list! It's no wonder that so many people feel overwhelmed when trying to adopt a new training regimen or when training for the first time. Spot reducing and the idea that women shouldn't lift weights or they'll bulk up are the most common myths I come across. Every now and then I also hear people say that you can't gain any muscle doing calisthenics and the only way to lose fat is high intensity endurance cardio.

11. Abhibhava Ubriani

Abhibhava Ubriani New Member

I think this post belong to my sister, she also reads magazines to know more about maintain the weight and how to adopt healthy life style.

12. freenstrong

freenstrong New Member

I read in a book ("Brain Rules") that the brain uses/"burns" 20% of the calories in the body.
    Hmmm.... Maybe if we learn as many things as we can and think more we will strengthen our brains. :)

13. NathalieAndrews

NathalieAndrews New Member

-"You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time"

I am confused on this one. I read the previous conversation between Steve and Lola, it just didn't quite clear it up for me. I remember once a personal trainer said that I needed to train strength to lose weight, as gaining muscle would increase the fat burn. The thing being that muscle-mass helps burning fat. If being at an energy deficit makes it impossible to gain muscle, what's the point of strength training instead of cardio? If one cannot do cardio, will strength training still help burn fat? How does this work, and what should one do the most of if one is at a constant calorie deficit?

14. Trusylver

Trusylver Super Moderator

The primary reason to lift weight in deficit is to maintain the muscle you already have, cardio and deficit will lead to more muscle loss than there needs to be if you do not lift. While it is possible to gain in a deficit it only happens in specific circumstances which most people do not achieve.

15. NathalieAndrews

NathalieAndrews New Member

Does using the manuals/work-out machines count as resistance training?

I like them, because they have little pictures showing what muscle groups you exercise + a detailed route for how to do it to avoid injuries, which I appreciate. That' basically what I did today, a short warm-up, going through most the muscle groups with the manuals/exercise machines and then a short stretch.

16. shipratsn

shipratsn New Member

Everyone has their own priority but a lot of you, especially girls hold back themselves just thinking that going to gym might make them bulky. This is not at all true unless you are consuming lots of supplements and steroids along with gymming.

Not everyone joins the gym with the primary motive of bodybuilding. You spot a hell number of people who are there just to get a good physique and for staying fit. You should join the gym even if you aren’t on weight loss spree.