1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motivational sayings and/or affirmations.

Discussion in 'Motivation' started by cate, Aug 6, 2009.

1. cate

cate Senior

Binge eating-
    “I was out of control”
    “I couldn’t stop”
    “I had to finish the whole packet”
    “It was like a wild hungry wolf took over my eating”

These phrases are familiar to those of us who struggle with binge eating. We know all too well the feeling of being in a wave of eating that we can’t stop, even though we know we “should” stop. It might be very clear that we’ll feel physically uncomfortable if we keep eating, yet we still can’t stop. It can feel like a tidal wave that just sweeps us away, and then at the end, pummels us down to the beach with another strong wave of shame. Most binge eaters are all too familiar with the post-binge “I can’t believe I ate all that – what’s wrong with me?” feeling.

How do I stop binge eating?
    The shame, guilt and feelings of self-hatred that can accompany binge eating mean that many binge eaters are not talking about their behaviour. We want to keep it quiet because it’s embarrassing. It doesn’t fit with the picture of the rest of our life. Many binge eaters feel alone in their experience of uncontrolled eating. But that couldn’t be further from the truth.

The challenge is, our diet-culture is still giving us the message that if we just had enough willpower, we could stop binge eating. But really, if the tough-it-out and just-resist-the-urge diet mentality was the path to stop binge eating, would so many people still be in the painful loop of eating more than they need or want to be eating? If fad diets and the popular just-do-it approaches are not the way to stop binge eating, then what are we supposed to do? How do we stop binge eating? How do we calm the wild uncontrollable feeling that has us eating & eating....?

As paradoxical as it sounds, the key to taming that hungry wolf within is to listen to it deeply.

Our out-of-control behaviour is the body’s way of sending up a flare – it wants to be noticed. The symptoms that we experience in our body – from a simple ache to binge eating – are all ways that our body is speaking to us. When the symptoms are loud, like pain or “I can’t stop eating,” our body is doing more than speaking – it’s yelling. Our body is screaming – “red alert, red alert, notice me now.”

Most of us are trained to ignore our body’s needs and tune-out its messages. But when we want to find a way that really works to stop binge eating, it’s imperative that we learn to listen to our body and the binge. Listening to the body is an art that all of us can learn. It’s a process of slowing down, breathing, and getting curious about what our internal world has to say to us. The simple process of listening to the body – slowing down, breathing and bringing awareness to the body – can actually help stop a binge.

When we slow down and breathe, when we bring our attention to our body in a curious and non-judgmental way, we are activating our parasympathetic nervous system. When our parasympathetic nervous system (also know as our “rest and digest” mode) is activated, we have that “it’s-all-OK” relaxation feeling.

That “it’s-all-OK” relaxation response is very powerful. It’s our best strategy when it comes to stopping binge eating. When we are relaxed, tuned-in, and paying attention to our body and feelings, it’s hard for the hungry-binge-eating-wolf to take over – because we are actually feeding the hungry wolf. That wild, out of control part of us needs attention. When we give it our attention, it doesn’t have to act out and take over by eating anything and everything.

However, shifting ourselves into rest and digest mode sometimes doesn’t happen in time. Sometimes, we know we’re headed towards a binge, and we don’t feel able to slow down. In those circumstances, it’s time to pull up a chair and pull out the fine china! Truly, sitting down and setting out your food beautifully will go a long way when it comes to slowing down and stopping a binge. Most of us binge standing up or eating in hiding, or in the car. We eat in ways and places that do not signal our system: “hey, we’re eating, this could be delicious food, let’s enjoy it!”

If we can ritualize our binge, if we can really tune into the pleasure of our food, it’s much harder to ignore our body and override the “I’m full” and “that’s enough for now” messages. When we allow ourselves to deeply experience the sensual pleasure of food, once again, we are triggering our parasympathetic nervous system. It’s just not possible to be possessed by the hungry wild animal within, or overtaken by a tidal wave of eating when we are in a relaxation response.

One of the keys to stopping binge eating is to activate our parasympathetic nervous system and shift our body into a relaxation response. When we practice breathing and bringing pleasure to our meals, our relationship with that deep and intense hunger will change and your battle to stop binge eating will come to an end. We will hear what we really need to nourish ourselves, and that will truly improve our relationship with our food and body.

Hunnyplease likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trusylver

Trusylver Super Moderator

weight lost.jpg

cate likes this.
  4. cate

cate Senior

That is funny Tru. I lost a gold brick, back in 2007, which, because I have regained an average 2-year old, is now only 200 sticks of butter! :(
    [​IMG]

5. cate

cate Senior

Food is fuel,
    NOT therapy.

~
    What you eat in private
    is eventually what you wear in public.
    Eat clean, look lean.
    ~
    Re-name foods as either "forward" food or backward food.
    Before you eat- ask
    "Will this food help me move forward to better health & more energy or
    will it have me going back to a spike & crash, depleted feeling?"

I think I have just talked myself out of having what would have been a big, sweet, binge. Some fruit about to be consumed!

elizab3th likes this.
  6. LisaB123456

LisaB123456 New Member

These are awesome. Great for keeping my motivation going each day :)

elizab3th and cate like this.
  7. JohnMarshall

JohnMarshall New Member

You can do this!

8. elizab3th

elizab3th Well-Known Member

We can all do this!
    When it comes to working out, there is not one single workout that I regret doing. So get up and be active! :hurray:

9. cate

cate Senior

How to take care of yourself emotionally-
    Understanding energy dynamics and healthy energetic boundaries is extremely important when taking care of yourself, emotionally. Knowing how to establish healthy boundaries is one of the ways to do it.
    Healthy Boundaries
    Establishing healthy boundaries require self-awareness. Having a sense of self-esteem is also important because it gives you the strength and will to set healthy boundaries in the first place. Doing so is a building block to greater self-esteem.

With greater self-esteem, your interactions become life-enhancing instead of life-depleting. You are able to energetically protect yourself and not inappropriately take on other people’s problems or issues as your own.
    Awareness of your inner world, your feelings, and your needs create an energetic boundary.

Expressing and communicating your needs to others in a productive but loving way is an important part of knowing how you take care of yourself emotionally and keep your energy field strong.

When you keep your energy field strong, you don’t get pulled into something that’s not in your best interests. You’re still loving and supportive. However, you maintain a clear sense of self, not falling prey to becoming a rescuer; being dominated, dominating or controlling others; or being over-emotional, manipulative, or losing yourself in a relationship.

These are the qualities of a dysfunctional relationship that leave you feeling disempowered and drained of energy.

Poor Boundaries.
    Most women were raised not learning how to take care of themselves emotionally. They are not taught how to keep their energy field intact by setting healthy boundaries. Too often, there are no role models to show them how, and this makes it easy for them to take on other people's energy as their own.

Anatomically, women were designed to bear children. This inherently gives them caretaking & nurturing qualities. Those qualities can leave them vulnerable to becoming co-dependent if they haven’t done the inner work to take care of themselves emotionally and create healthy boundaries in their relationships.

Instead, other people's needs become their needs, and their needs are easily buried.

Have you ever lost yourself in a relationship? Have you ever sacrificed your personal needs for the needs of another to the point that is beyond normal self-sacrifice and care? Have you ever looked to other people's for approval when you really needed to accept yourself?

Imagine what that does to your body’s energy field, let alone your identity and power. It is always good to give to others, but when you don’t take care of your own physical, emotional, and spiritual needs first, you are unable to give to others in a healthy way.

Relationships Are Everything.
    Relationships affect you. Whether you are in a love relationship or not, you are "in a relationship". You are in a relationship with your parents, siblings, and co-workers, to name a few. Most importantly, you are in a relationship with yourself.

If you want to have healthy relationships, it is crucial to have healthy energetic boundaries.
    Practicing healthy boundaries enables you to maintain a healthy energy field around your body. You won’t get drained and lose your pep for life.

10. cate

cate Senior

“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.”
    ~ Thomas A.Edison
    Perseverance, folks.
    That's what will get you there.
    Never give up!