Please give me some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried diet. I restricted myself to 1500 calories a day. After a year, I didn't lose a pound.

I added exorcise to the dietary restriction. 30 minutes every morning for six months. Jumping jacks, climbing stairs, running for 30 minutes every morning. I didn't lost a pound. In fact I gained five after starting to exorcise.

The only thing that finally worked was ketosis. I starved my self with only 500 calories per day. After a year I lost 30 lbs.

Now I am at 175, but if I eat even a single meal at a restaurant I gain 2 - 3 lbs.

It takes me a week in ketosis to get back to 175.

Normally I eat celery, pickles, salad -no dressing, tomatoes, thin sliced beef -17 calories each.

When ever I get hungary, I fill up on these.

Please somebody tell me if those foods are contributing to my weight gain. Can I eat as much as I want of these foods? Or or these foods problem too. I am very frustrated at this point. If I eat anything else, I gain weight. It is a massive struggle for me to stay at 175

firstly eating only 500 calories per day on a long term basis is killing your metabolism. keto is a lifestyle and not a quick fix diet, it is not a super low calorie diet.

to try and work out what you need to be doing more info is needed.

Age ?
Bodyfat %
height if bodyfat % is not known
What are your current macros (protein, fat, carbs) in grams

What foods and drinks are you usually consuming ?

I am 51
5'10"
I have type II diabetis which I control with insulin once a day
I drink water only
a typical day consists of 4 oz meat 16 oz vegetables no bread
thats 120 grams and 480 grams

If you need to know anything else, I'd be glad to share or if I didn't understand something

without bodyfat information I can only go of BMI which indicates you are at the top end of normal weight for your height

by macros I meant the quantity of protein, fat and carbs you are consuming not the scale weight of the food however if I assume lean beef for your meat then you are eating roughly 31 grams of protein which is to low and definitely to low for a keto diet.

your vegetables are much harder to estimate the macro breakdown, I would suggest you need to start tracking your food in one of the many online tracking apps which will give you the numbers for the food your actually eating (not just calories)

many endocrinologists suggest a keto diet for diabetes so you are on the right track there however some vegetables can still spike your blood sugar a lot. remember, to be in ketosis for most people you need to be eating under 20-50 grams of net carbs per day, so veg should be mostly high fibre.

restaurant meals often have lots of yummy carb loaded sauces as part of the meal, these carbs will not only take you out of ketosis they will make your body hold onto more fluid, so the meal you ate at a restaurant may not have made you gain fat, just water weight which will be dropped again quickly once returning to keto. A little care in choosing what to order when eating out will solve this problem.

Try incorporating these foods to increase your metabolism such as chili peppers, whole grains, egg whites, lentils, green, grapefruit, lemons, and spinach. These foods will boost your metabolism and heat your body temperature thus helping you burn off fat more efficiently. Also, try incorporating HIIT cardio such as walk and sprint, jog and sprint, and infinite burpees. [Spam Link Removed]

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be that you gain a lot of water weight after a restaurant meal due to your genral low sodium diet? Gaining weight when starting to exercise due muscle and blood volumen (I know, no one like hear that). Secondly, you should have a chat with your GP. Maybe he can refere you to a nutritionist who can define your macro necessities. Also, I know a friend with insulin resistance had problems losing weight due to the insulin basicly blocking the fat after dieting a lot.

Hi Jerry,
be mercy with my poor english.
If you want you can write what you eat and I will count micro and macro nutrients so you will more aware of your diet.
Please try to write the weight of what you eat, when and if you eat something that you cook or if you eat at restaurants.
Don't miss seasoning.
I hope that I will help you.
Bye
Alberto

Get yourself tested for diabetes.
Your metabolism may be slow, in that case you need to eat smaller but frequent meals.
Check your calorie intake carefully, remember that fruit juices contain carbs even though it's mentioned that there's no added sugar

I was kinda in the same boat, type 2 diabetes, although no insulin. If you can do it, and it sounds like you can, try intermittent fasting. The basic idea is to restrict your eating to 5 - 8 hours a day. Not so much what you eat as when you eat. I have been loosing weight steady on this plan. It gives your body time to digest the food, use it for energy, then starts burning fat when it runs out of food energy. My day is like this: Wake up, have a cup of green tea and 1 cup of coffee. Down to my workout room for 30 mins cardio, stretching, 75 ab reps, lift weights (upper body 1 day, lower body next day, then a day off of lifting, off to work. Home for lunch approx. 12 noon, eat for the 1st time that day. Back to work, home by 6pm eat before 8pm...done eating until 12 noon the next day. At least for me, this has been working really well. If you get a hunger pang, drink a glass of water. For your 16 hours of not eating, nothing over 10 calories. I would suggest searching "Ted talks" for info on "intermittent fasting" and/or the "fast 5 diet". Personally, I think I have found the secret, I'm 67 years old, feel great, sleep great, plenty of energy, I don't see myself ever changing back from this program, probably just adding a few calories to maintain my weight (now that I've hit my goal). 5'11" 175 lbs 32" waist, on the path to fitness, got a ways to go on that front, but I can see it from where I'm standing.

hi Jerry, i really would recommend you check what kind of foods your eating, what i mean is you may want to make sure you are eating food that is organic and grass fed, you dont have to stave yourself or do calorie counting or anything like, all you have to do is make sure you are eating the right kinds of fats (grass fed butter, free range eggs etc) and carbs (literally any vegetable or fruit that is organic or as close to nature nature as intended) along with good workout plan (HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training)

Another thing you may want to do as a man, is to seek ways to Optimize your testosterone levels, as you most likely already know every year past the age of 30 your testosterone levels go down, and unfortunately in the west testosterone levels in men are on a decline due to our environment and diet which for the average man tends to be pretty unhealthy so i am going to reccomend the addition of cheap herbs, spices and roots to your diet, which include the following

Turmeric(Fresh and powdered)
Ginger
Oregano
Parsley
Garlic

all of these are known to have testosterone boosting effects, oh and whatever you do to try and increase your testosterone levels, DONT do Testosterone therapy as it has many side effects and there are many natural additions and lifestyle changes one can apply to their life to solve the problem of low testosterone.

Goodluck and i hope you get to where you want in terms of your health.

Hey man,
not really gonna comment on your diet, but I did want to mention something about your inclusion of exercise.

It is normal for a person to gain weight when first beginning some form of resistance training. Your brain and muscles are building stronger connections. As a result, the first several weeks will create faster than normal increases in muscle mass and therefore increases in body weight. This is because muscle weighs more that fat does. The adaptions in neuromuscular activity occur faster than a reduction in body fat. This eventually tapers off as muscular adaptations become harder to achieve.

Also, bigger muscles burn more calories than smaller muscles. As your muscles grow they will require more energy, which will cause more calories to be burned not only during exercise, but even while at rest.

TL;DR Measuring body fat, rather than body weight, can be a more useful indicator of overall health.

muscle weighs more that fat
muscle does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense than fat, 1kg of fat weights the same as 1 kg of muscle, however the muscle takes up less space. Also remember unless a person is substantially overweight and has a low training age they are not going to gain muscle size in a calorie deficit. The common excuse that "I probably gained muscle" as an excuse for weight gain in a deficit diet is just that, an excuse with no basis in fact.

muscle does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense than fat
You're right. 1 kg = 1 kg. Density is the correct word. Regardless, many people are worried about what number is on the scale rather than body fat percentage, which IMO is a more useful indicator of health and fitness. That is the point I was trying to make. My grandmother, among others, have lost substantial amounts of body fat, and this alone seemed to abolish type 2 diabetes.

And to quote your earlier reply to OP, keto "is not a super low calorie diet." The majority of the diet is fat based. Fat yields more calories than carbs, which are quite low in a keto diet (<50 g). Enough protein should be in the diet to at least maintain lean mass. So restricting daily intake to <500 calories seems unsustainable.

whats the best way to work out body fat %?
There are several methods to calculate bodyfat %, the gold standard is DEXA and underwater weighing, calipers used by a competent trained person are the next best thing and is more accessible. Bodyfat scales (often a function on bathroom scales) is often inaccurate but ok for seeing long term trends. Finally the "Navy Method" uses body measurements to estimate the %.

I am 51
5'10"
I have type II diabetis which I control with insulin once a day
I drink water only
a typical day consists of 4 oz meat 16 oz vegetables no bread
thats 120 grams and 480 grams

If you need to know anything else, I'd be glad to share or if I didn't understand something
It seems as though your age is partly to blame and is working against you. I'm 41 and I have no real room to talk on that one. Certainly eliminating the dressings while eating a salad or the condiments while eating a burger for example would eliminate a ton of calories by that simple act alone.
I tried diet. I restricted myself to 1500 calories a day. After a year, I didn't lose a pound.

I added exorcise to the dietary restriction. 30 minutes every morning for six months. Jumping jacks, climbing stairs, running for 30 minutes every morning. I didn't lost a pound. In fact I gained five after starting to exorcise.

The only thing that finally worked was ketosis. I starved my self with only 500 calories per day. After a year I lost 30 lbs.

Now I am at 175, but if I eat even a single meal at a restaurant I gain 2 - 3 lbs.

Normally I eat celery, pickles, salad -no dressing, tomatoes, thin sliced beef -17 calories each.

Please somebody tell me if those foods are contributing to my weight gain. Can I eat as much as I want of these foods? Or or these foods problem too. I am very frustrated at this point. If I eat anything else, I gain weight. It is a massive struggle for me to stay at 175
Your age is certainly working against you but I have very little room to talk since I'm 41 myself. Eliminating dressings while eating a salad or the condiments while eating a burger for example would also eliminate a ton of calories even if you did absolutely nothing else. Many people including myself will also tell you, although you appear to be an exception, that 15-30 minutes of exercising our some sort is very beneficial and can go a long way in helping you shed pounds even if it is hoping for a simple walk. Hope that helps!

Mark Smothers

Would it be able to be that you put on a ton of water weight after an eatery feast due to your general low sodium diet? Putting on weight when beginning to practice due to muscle and blood volume (I know, nobody like hears that). Furthermore,link removed elought to sit down to talk with your GP. Perhaps he can refer you to a nutritionist who can characterize your full-scale necessities. Additionally, I know a companion with insulin obstruction had issues getting thinner because of the insulin basically hindering the fat in the wake of abstaining from excessive food intake a considerable measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.