Should we count calories when we need to lose fat ?

I am a little confused about the calories counting. I was reading in this book "Lose Weight or Gain Weight? Nutrition & Exercise" that I took from Amazon, that we should not count calories because that it does not help. The author was saying we need to calculate proteins and maybe carbs, but not calories. By the way, the author has a funny name "Samson" :), but overall it is not a bad book, has lots of details but I personally don't have the time and will to keep up with those. Can somebody help me with this calories thing?

counting calories is just one method, you don't have to count calories especially if your tracking macros but counting calories is helpful for many people.

Hey I found this, I hope it helps you
When people think of calorie counting, they cringe, and while all of us wish we could eat whatever we want without gaining weight, for most of us this is simply not reality and not how it works.
While there are some people who can eat what they want and not gain weight, most of us have to watch our diet closely and pay close attention to the food we consume.
Counting calories is one way people have decided to take charge of their fitness and lead a healthier lifestyle. Along with counting calories, they may decide to go on a low-carb diet in an effort to lose weight.
There may be some confusion about calorie counting and what it actually entails and how it can benefit you, but also if it is necessary when you are on a low-carb diet. To figure out the answer to this question, it is important to understand what each entails and their purposes.
Why People Count Calories
The idea behind calorie counting is the basic formula of calories in and calories out. The goal is to burn more than you eat so to create a calorie deficit that results in either weight loss or healthy weight management.
Typically, tracking calorie intake and being mindful of physical activity you are performing is key to maintaining a healthy weight and staving off overweight and obesity that cause serious health problems for the body.
The calorie formula takes into account your height, weight, activity levels and age in order to determine the correct number for you. For those who workout every day can eat much more food and still lose weight, while those who are sedentary will have to lower their daily intake.
Use an online calorie calculator and plug in your data and then play around with the activity settings and you will see the big differences in allowed calories between sedentary and active lifestyles.
Does Counting Calories Help With Weight Loss?
Since calorie counting keeps people on track of their weight loss goals, it may actually be beneficial for people to do so while they are trying to lose weight.
Yes, you are consuming fewer calories, but it is still important for you to know how many calories are in the foods you are eating because the calorie deficit is important for your weight loss journey. Therefore, even if you do exercise for weight loss, if you are consuming too many calories, you may not see any results.
Bottom Line
Everyone is different. The decision to count or not really depends on you and your results, if you find that you are eating more calories than you should and not seeing your weight loss goals realized, you may need to determine your requirements and start monitoring caloric intake.

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little confused about the calories counting. I was reading in this book "Lose Weight or Gain Weight? Nutrition & Exercise" that I took from Amazon, that we should not count calories because that it does not help. The author was saying we need to calculate proteins and maybe carbs, but not calories. By the way, the author has a funny name "Samson" :), but overall it is not a bad book, has lots of details but I personally don't have the time and will to keep up with those. Can somebody help me with this calories thing?
It entirely depends on your goal.

If your goal is Weight loss (change in the number on your scale), calorie tracking is a must. Why? Well, you need to have a deficit for weight loss right? You can't be eating too little or too much. So if weight loss is the goal, then Calorie is a must to be tracked.

If fat loss is your goal, Calorie is important but not as important as macros. Fat loss is entirely macro dependent. So if you just track macros, you are good to go.

You may ask whats the difference and i would love it if this came across your mind too.

In weight loss, your entire calories can be from Carbs only or Fats only or protein only. Its not macro specific as long as there is a deficit and calories are coming from real whole foods where as fat loss is macro specific. If you are in a deficit and assimilate all your calories through carbs, you will lose weight alright but at the same time you lose muscle too. When you are specific about macros and maintain the proper ratio, you dont lose Muscle but just lose fats.

I hope this made sense :).

Counting calories taught me what high value foods are and importantly, now you can eat plenty and not get hungry.

I discovered the foods I could eat which were low in calories and high in nutrition and filling - veggies, tomatoes, fresh salsa, salads...and eat as much as I want of those at any meal. Then I would add a reasonable portion of lean protein and sparing amounts of carbs. I cut back on cheese and where I did use it in a salad or omelet, I picked goat and feta, which deliver a LOT of flavor per calorie, so I didn't need as much. I was also able to recognize what a reasonable portion size is and stop at that much (pizza, burger, etc) while pairing with a salad.

I find that egg whites are a miracle food. 17 calories each and protein which helps keep from feeling hungry.

I recommend trying it for a while!

You should be aware about the calories you intake. In order to lose weight, you need to decrease the calories you intake and burn through exercise. There are many ways of diets works for different people.

One important mistake everyone makes is to lose weight only with diet. Your diet is important! But don't ever skip physical exercises. The food you intake directly associates with calories. Usually high carbs and protein contains less/average calories, and sugar, starch and fat foods contains high calories.

Basically if you want to lose weight, you cant just focus with narrow mind. Consider the calories you take, what kind of food you want take and make a diet plan including physical exercise at least 4 times a week to see fast improvements. :)

Spam Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't specifically count calories. My major focus is eating mostly only when I'm hungry. But I like being aware of the calories in things. I like it that restaurants have calories mentioned next to most things. It makes it so I can't zone out when it comes to how many calories an item has in it. I also don't keep a lot or high calorie food around my house. I also focus on all the healthy food I like and I like a lot of healthy foods. All Calories aren't equal either. Just my thoughts.