1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution to Skinny-Fat?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Programs' started by Mr.Blue, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue New Member

Hello Everyone!
    I was hoping to get some advice regarding trimming down from a skinny fat physique.

Background: I've been eating 1200 calories (fairly clean) since July 2015. Staring weight was 220, current weight 140; I am male, 5'9. I lost a lot of weight but plateaued in the 140 range early 2016. My skinny fat physique since then has only slightly improved on account of implementing light strength training. I have gained some muscle and definition but the fat around my lower back, slight belly, and chest is still there.

I've read some post stating that one of the contributing factors to skinny fat is under eating for too long. I'm not sure if this is my case considering my diet and daily activity.
    I exercise everyday for an hour first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I don't have access to a gym so I exercise at home.

Exercise: 100 squats, 100 push ups, [4 sets of 18 reps (with a pair of 15lb dumbbells) each of: bicep curls, tricep extensions, shoulder press], 40 crunches, 20 cross crunches,20 leg raises, 20 flutter kicks, 20 scissors, 20 leg raised circles, 20 crunch kicks, 20 air bike crunches, and 20 sitting twist

I'm confused as to what to do to trim down from this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a picture of my current physique. Thank you!
    photo 1.jpg photo 2.PNG

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trusylver

Trusylver Super Moderator

Firstly, yes you are under eating, in addition to under eating, the composition of the food your eating will have had an effect on your muscle loss.

To build some muscle and improve body composition you will need to increase calories with good nutrition along with improving your exercise.

maintaining muscle in a calorie deficit requires you to be lifting heavy, not just the endurance level lifting you are currently doing. Do you have access to heavier weights ? exercise bands ? kids playground ?

Mr.Blue likes this.
  4. Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue New Member

Yea, I do. I've been meaning to buy some heavier dumbbells and also considering exercise bands. As far as eating, what would be the better option?, maintenance, or a slight surplus?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  5. Trusylver

Trusylver Super Moderator

a little under maintenance with heavy lifting should provide further fat loss without loosing excessive muscle, a little over maintenance with heavy lifting should begin to build some muscle and improve composition and metabolism so you can then begin to cut calories later on to loose further excess fat.

Mr.Blue likes this.
  6. Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue New Member

Awesome! Thanks so much for the feedback. I can't wait to start implementing this!