1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to quit alcohol

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by harhar78, Jan 29, 2018.

1. harhar78

harhar78 New Member

Hey guys,
    i am a regular drinker and have been drinking for the last more than 15 years. Now, i am trying to quitting it as i am having many health problems like high BP. Well, i tried Link Removed for getting some help and yes, i am seeing some improvement. It is my 5th day today and not having any more alcohol since then, but how long would i go , just finger crossed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OneEyedJack

OneEyedJack Active Member

I would highly suggest getting involved with your local AA. Everyone's alcohol tolerance is different. Some people become alcoholics (body addicted to alcohol) and others not so much. The fact that you posted on here says that you need some help. Seek out a group of people who have the same exact goal as you do...support from others knowing what you are facing is very important.

4. Mika134

Mika134 New Member

I know the feeling :( I have tried to give up alcohol so many times now! However I have managed to go from drinking 4-5 days of the week, to just 2 days of the week. My problem is once I have a pint, I need more. And what's worse alcohol makes your brain think "sod it" and you just go for it. Something that has helped me however, is taking the money I would usually spend on booze, and putting it in a pot towards a treat that gets me really hyped up, enough to ease the cravings a little! You could also buy yourself something smaller each week out of the money, as that would motivate you to keep doing so.

Every time you refuse a drink, whether you just have one drink, or decide altogether not to go out or buy any, put the money in the pot and look up the thing you are saving for online - for me it is a sky diving session! But it can be a new game console, a new bike, whatever makes you excited to think about enough to override some of your cravings :) Or buy yourself something nice with the money every now and then! Whichever works best for you!

Good luck!

5. OneEyedJack

OneEyedJack Active Member

Okay....
    well...
    I am kind of up against a wall here...I haven't gained any weight..but, I haven't really lost any either...
    The reason is alcohol consumption. but...I have also determined that while alcohol is the reason for no weight loss...it is not the problem! The problem is that I am addicted to cigars. And...the reason I am so addicted to cigars is because I inhale...which is not a good thing to do! As you know...I had decided to quit and start exercising instead. I thought it would just be a matter of my saying...no...to cigars; it isn't that simple.

I remember how Cory would post ....x number of days without soda pop. I think I need to do the same with cigars.
    If I smoke, I drink. They are inseparable! If I drink, I don't lose weight. Besides the obvious health risks and consequences for both, I seriously want to lose weight. So I MUST quit smoking cigars...if I find myself wanting to drink...I'll tell you, but I'm pretty sure if I kill cigars the other will also fall by the wayside. I'm not really a 'taper down' kind of guy. So...it is going to be a Cold Turkey experience for me.

The reason I haven't posted on here in some time is because I said I was going to quit and then didn't and I felt ashamed to tell you all. I realize though that you guys are my support group. So...just coming clean...making a new start. It's Monday, and I'm looking forward not backwards. I look forward to posting tomorrow that I am 'cigar free' for one day!

Trusylver likes this.